Will Gordon Brown squat in Downing Street?

No, you voted for a party. It doesn't matter why you did that, you did not vote for a PM.

Like I said. I voted for Brown to be out of Downing Street. You vote for what you like, but don't presume to tell me what I voted for.

No, you voted for a party. It doesn't matter why you did that, you did not vote for a PM.

No, you voted for an MP who happens to be a member of a party usually.

Yes sorry quite right - I've posted this so often...:P

It's just quite funny that Uptowngirl thinks her vote is somehow different to everyone elses. TBH I didn't notice the "Brown out of downing street" option on the voting form.

It is quite funny how a pompous oaf like you can think they know better than everyone else. You can post the same rubbish 1000 times and it doesn't make you right.

I know lots of people who voted Labour in 2005 because they thought they were voting for Blair as Prime Minister. That was Blair's promise, but he lied and Brown was hoisted upon us. Most of those people would have voted differently had Brown been party leader. Same party, same manifesto, same policies, different PM.

Therefore they voted for the Prime Minister of their choice. I have just done the same. I was also fully aware that a vote for Brown could easily be a vote for an un-named replacement for Brown. I know what I am doing. You can please yourself.

Pompous oaf eh? Funny how I haven't insulted you, but you felt the need to start.

Anyway, I am not wrong. In this case, it is clear that i absolutely know better than you.

You DO NOT vote for a Prime Minister. This country has NEVER elected it's Prime Minister. Whatever your motivations for voting a particular way does not change the fact that you are voting for an MP, who usually belongs to a political party.

I am talking about the actual constitutional process - you appear to be talking about your motivations for voting a particular way, so it doesn't appear that you are even talking about the same thing!

You were attempting to ridicule me and the highlight just proves that you are a pompous oaf. People vote for what they want. It might be a candidate. It might be a policy. It might be because of who they want as PM. That's what I voted for, and that is my choice. I am talking about the same thing. It is you that wants to talk about something different.

Someone who claims to be as knowledgeable as you should know that I should be a capital letter.

By the way we should be electing a Prime Minister tomorrow. Look out for it.

Pompous oaf eh? Funny how I haven't insulted you, but you felt the need to start.

Anyway, I am not wrong. In this case, it is clear that i absolutely know better than you.

You DO NOT vote for a Prime Minister. This country has NEVER elected it's Prime Minister. Whatever your motivations for voting a particular way does not change the fact that you are voting for an MP, who usually belongs to a political party.

I am talking about the actual constitutional process - you appear to be talking about your motivations for voting a particular way, so it doesn't appear that you are even talking about the same thing!

It doesn't matter how the system is designed to work. Uptowngirl voted for the PM of her choice and she accomplished that by voting for that person's party. So in short, you're both correct.

The point is, she did not vote for a PM. It is impossible. You cannot do that. It is not part of our system.

She might have voted for a particular MP in order to help that PM get in or out, but she did not vote for the PM, which was what she was arguing with me about.

I did exactly the same. You have to wonder what the Clegg factor is all about if people don't vote for a Prime Minister. I voted for Clegg.

People are going to severely regret voting for Cameron. In 5 years time they will be desperate to get rid of the tories. Osbourne will be a complete and utter disaster.

This big society rubbish will just disappear as that is complete and utter tosh

I shall tell people with glee how they dug thier own grave!

The point is, she did not vote for a PM. It is impossible. You cannot do that. It is not part of our system.

She might have voted for a particular MP in order to help that PM get in or out, but she did not vote for the PM, which was what she was arguing with me about.

Constitutionally this is the correct answer. You don't vote for a particular PM, you vote for the candidate that most represents your opinions.

It doesn't matter how the system is designed to work. Uptowngirl voted for the PM of her choice and she accomplished that by voting for that person's party. So in short, you're both correct.

However if you use your vote as a means of electing your choice as PM (whether or not this is constitutionally possible) then the above answer is the one you have used.

Archived