Can anyone reccomend any pain relief creams for Plantar Fasciltis

Made to measure insoles or any good thick gel insoles help. I had to walk on the ball of my foot for 3 months, but keeping pressure of the heel did help. Even though better, I find a twinge in the heel coming back every Summer.

My doctor told me these are the inserts you want.

"How much"

"£400"

"OK write the prescription"

"Can't"

I massage my foot with Tiger Balm,but think it is more a placebo effect than any thing.I bought Dr Foot inserts,they certainly help.Also rolling the feet on a tennis ball and ice packs all help.

PS long periods of standing should certainly be avoided if possible.

I had this for about 2 years, walking round on tip toes, and nothing seemed to cure it, gels, heel supports with the hole in, pain killers, cortisone injections just crippled me more. Then whilst in Boots one day i saw some full sole inserts that also supported the arch. They took some getting used to and i had to keep taking them out after about an hour but i eventually got used to them and kept them in permanently.

After about 6 months i took them out, this was opposite to when i started with them and i had to keep putting them back in again. After about a month i was walking without them and "touch wood" i have had not had a recurrence for about the last 4 years and now walk the dogs 4 or 5 mile a day with no problems.

I had plantar fascilitis for 18 months. Physio did the trick for me. Gel heel insoles and wearing wedge heeled shoes instead of ordinary heels also helped. Neither painkillers nor creams helped. My podiatrist suggested wearing "fit flops" but as I don't like toe posts I didn't try them. She also suggested that wearing clogs and walking over uneven ground may have set the condition off.

This is from an info sheet I was given when I suffered from P.F. last year. It took several months of exercises but they did work.

Regular gentle stretching of the Achilles tendon and the plantar fascia seems to ease the symptoms in some people. This is because most people with plantar fasciitis have a slight tightness of the Achilles tendon. This tends to pull at the back of the heel and have a knock-on effect of keeping the plantar fascia tight. Also, when you are asleep overnight, the plantar fascia tends to tighten up (which is why it is usually most painful first thing in the morning). The aim of the exercises is to gently loosen up the tendons and fascia above and below the heel. Your doctor may refer you to a physiotherapist for exercise guidance.

The following exercises can be used to help treat plantar fasciitis:

1. Stand about 40 cm away from a wall and put both hands on the wall at shoulder height, feet slightly apart, with one foot in front of the other. Bend the front knee but keep the back knee straight and lean in towards the wall to stretch. You should feel the calf muscle tighten. Keep this position for several seconds then relax. Do this about 10 times then switch to the other leg. Now repeat the same exercise for both legs but this time, bring the back foot forward slightly so that the back knee is also slightly bent. Lean against the wall as before, keep the position, relax and then repeat 10 times before switching to the other leg. Repeat this routine twice a day.

2. Stand on the bottom step of some stairs with your legs slightly apart and with your heels just off the end of the step. Hold the stair rails for support. Lower your heels, keeping your knees straight. Again you should feel the stretch in your calves. Keep the position for 20-60 seconds then relax. Repeat six times. Try to do this exercise twice a day.

3. Sit on the floor with your legs out in front of you. Loop a towel around the ball of one of your feet. With your knee straight, pull your toes towards your nose. Hold the position for 30 seconds and repeat three times. Repeat the same exercise for the other foot. Try to do this once a day.

4. For this exercise you need an object such as a rolling pin or a drinks can. Whilst sitting in a chair, put the object under the arch of your foot. Roll the arch of your foot over the object in different directions. Perform this exercise for a few minutes for each foot at least twice a day.

Archived