Apna style curries

AYBABTU

I am often a bit disappointed with curry takeaways (and restaurants) in Sheffield.

I am suspicious most dishes are not fully cooked fresh to order but are made around a central stock sauce which is then added to the meal being made.

For all I know , these sauces could be made in a warehouse and shipped to takeaways all over Sheffield...if I were a businessman with 3 or 4 takeaways / restaurants that is certainly what I would be doing.

They are often far too salty and oily (even when I ask for them to cut down on this) , I suspect this is because the base of the dish is made in advance....

I have heard of people asking for Apna style (or home style) dishes which supposedly means a little more authentic cooking style but feel I will sound a bit of an idiot if I ask for this down my local takeaway (Paprikas in Fulwood) as they probably arent geared up for this. Or they could be offended ...

Does anyone else do this? Am I being too suspicious for my own good?

I am sure I have seen Apna curries on a menu recently; the problem is, I can't recall where! I have recently been to Ranmoor Tandoori and Seven Spices but neither of their websites list Apna as a style of curry!

I'd guess the name means 'your curry' as - in Hindi at least - apna (pronounced aapna) translates as your/s.

I'll watch this thread with interest.

Good call, folks.

The Apna menu is supposed to be a bit more authentic I guess. That maybe means the curry will not be swimming in oil ? Know that Akbars Apna menu is the one to go for though the place is not worth a trip to Rotherham for.

Now then, a GREAT place to get a takeaway from is the Khushi on Abbeydale Road - 0114 2558100 - deliver within 3 miles for free. They have the Apna section but its all really good.

Grilled meats excellent, nans fresh, curries are not too oily / salty.

I can't imagine many take away's making every order from scratch as it would take too long. I know for sure that some have big pots of base sauce, whilst some have a paste (of spices etc) that they then add to tomato/cream to form a curry. I have actually seen them use PATAKS!! Usually in the sort of joint that does pizzas and kebabs too.

No excuses for a restaurant to follow these practices though.

Pretty much all of them use 'Punjabi gravy', or as you say a generic base. It partly explains why lots of them all taste the bloody same! Gulshan always used to do some good Apna dishes, my housemate always orders Chicken Aloo Apna style, it's always been drier and hotter. (except the last time when it was crap!)

That place on The Whicker does apna style curries - trying to remember its name. Choltan, Cultan or something.

That'll be the Chaman. Watch out if you order apna or 'asian' style, though. It can get a bit spicy!

Archived