Dempsey`s shoe shop

You could get other cult fashion stuuff there as well as shoes, mod, punk and of course teddy boy gear. I got a couple of drape jackets from there in the lates 70s and early 80s. They seemed to do a bit of an overkill on the brothel creepers though. They had every style, every colour, patterns, furs and tartans in every size even half sizes.

"Dempseys was like a double unit when I used to visit in the late 70s early 80s. One half sold shoes and the other half sold mostly teddy boy gear, but also had a bit of punk and mod stuff too.

I remember an article in the Star when the place fell victim to a smash and grab raid one night.

The article listed the items stolen, two drape jackets, two pairs of drainpipe trousers, two pairs of crepe soled shoes,two bootlace ties, two shirts with ruffles and two fancy belt buckles.

The article finished with the line "police are looking for two men described as teddy boys".

i remember gettin my clothes from there 3 star jumpers /the trousers with the big pockets on the side and monkey boots to name a few.

dito/ i remember it well also got my tartan scarf and trous from there

when bay city rolleres was the rage . what a pratt i must have looked with the scarf round my wrist .l.o.l but boy what fun .

I got my first pair of "proper" shoes from Dempseys.

I was only a toddler, but I remember them well. I was very proud that I had "grown-up shoes".

They were a brand called "DandySteps", high at the ankle, white leather, with a curved sole that went right the way up the back of the heel, like a driving shoe.

I worked on 'the flats' in the 60's and remember many of the shops at that time!!!! The flats had only been built about 18 months (early 60's) and visitors from overseas would often be wandering about! Does anybody remember Nat Elston in the market? I got to know his wife Biddy through going to the same hairdresser, a lovely lady with a great sense of humour!

Archived