Neanderthal genes present in modern populations

I've always said.....

"Neanderthals are alive and well - and playing rugby in Wales..." !!! :):help::)

Any rugby playing Welsh on SF are, of course, exceptions!!! :hihi: :hihi:

The neanderthals were actually far better adapted to coping with cold than sapiens. Short stocky bodies that are good at conserving heat, large sinuses to warm air before it hits the lungs etc.

why is it then that after each of the last 4 ice ages the neanderthals population dropped dramatically while the sapien stayed constant, untill the last ice age where the last of the neanderthals died out, one of the factors is the sapiens where a social people who traded with other villages and settlements and the neanderthals kept themselves secluded and isolated so in effect had to fend for themselves against the cold instead of trading furs etc.

I'm a bit confused here .... Homo sapiens and neandertals obviously shared a common ancestor but the split from this common ancestor couldn't have happened overnight. There must have been a nebulous area when the two species were pretty much indistinguishable and interbreeding was common. Why did this 'split' finally occur if ever? Surely it's still continuing and modern day homo sapiens are still evolving into a new species. For instance ... is it possible that people with a higher intellect would tend to breed with each other thus forming a seperate sub species. Surely this is still a natural selection and the 'branch' between us and neandertals is not as plain cut as the diagram (post #1) would have us believe. For instance, I watched a documentary about an indigenous species on some island (sumatra type area) who were completely cut off from modern civilisation. Whilst being classed as homo sapiens it was obvious they bore little physiologcal similarity to what 'we' look like. This was a dying sub culture who settled on an island and were 'left behind' when modern man left Africa and eventually migrated to Australia and later europe. It was pointed out they were on the edge of extinction. I think this sort of thing must be happening all over. Although we talk about survival of the fittest (ie fire, agriculture, art... etc) it is slowly becoming survival by intellect. Dare I say that maybe one day we will create the next 'rung' and total new species ourselves, pretty much overnight (in the scheme of things) in the form of self replicating artificial intelligence.

I'm not well read on this subject of evolution and these are just my thoughts.

Archived