A great band called Curbar

Broomster

Saw a rather wonderful band going by the name of Curbar play the Grapes on Friday. They were only on stage for about half an hour, but in this time managed to play some shimmering guitar rock that excited this jaded reviewer enough to start beating the drum for them. They sound like The Strokes on amphetamine abusing the back catalogue of The Jam whilst stealing all the tunes from Placebo. Curbar were fantastic live - tight and polished and shiny, with bassist Ed Smith striking some particularly angular poses - and would not, I think, have any problems filling a venue much larger than the Grapes. Can't remember what the final song was called (having been under the influence at the time) but I do know that it was the one of the best tunes this reviewer has heard in recent times, if not ever. GO SEE THEM.

I saw them support The Black Velvets earlier this year and the were by far a far more impressive band, with a real talent. I cannot wish them enough luck for the future.

If you've not seen them, check them out. Great band and nice guys too.

Have seen this band and although I find them a bit boring I can see why other people may like them.

Two things though, the singer could do with looking like he means it and not looking like it's a hobby away from university.

Second "Curbur" what an awful name, what's the album going to be called " Walking over to Calver"?

Oh well wish them the best.

Originally posted by iaingeorge

why do people use the "...... on [drugs] thing"?

sounded like:

cats on smack....

cars on acid....

nope.

don`t geddit.

awful, just awful.

I am fully aware that this reviewing style is highly contrived, having also seen 'Good Morning With Richard Not Judy' in 2000. They noticed that tired hacks used the 'A is like B on C' formula to make a review seem original when in fact it was anything but. So I accept all charges: I AM A TIRED HACK. Now did you like the sodding band or are you just displaying all the attributes of a pedant?

Archived