Could 2010 election bring on the abdication of the queen ?

Given that there is imminent reform from all quarters with the wrangling of a hung parliament, could the queen choose to abdicate and leave any constitutional reform up to Charles if its required?

Our queen is a bit of a traditionalist and Charles has had the freedom to have a bit more opportunity to have an individualistic view of the world and would I imagine be more in touch with today's Britain.

The queen is due a break from it all in my opinion and think that this election is going to be a bit of an headache for her at least, and a while there's so much division maybe its an ideal time to hand over the reign.

I don't know, once there's a change in the country and our political system like its suggested is going to have to happen, maybe it would be an acceptable time to do it.

People in the UK are going to get a real shake up no matter what the outcome of the election is going to be and maybe would be a positive expression by the royalty that change is not beyond them also.

The Queen won't abdicate by choice, her roots were steeped in the shame of the abdication of her uncle, which catapulted her shy unprepared father onto the throne. Her family, rightly or wrongly, believed that it led to his early grave. It may seem old fashioned to us, but that's what 'abdication' is associated with in her eyes.

It's right that there's going to be a real shake up in so many ways, but one of the plus points of a constitutional monarchy (and I'm not a flag waving monarchist) is the continuity it gives beyond other political changes. I don't see the point in change for the sake of it. The Queen has decades of experience in her constitutional duties and dealings with government, our own and with Commonwealth leaders too. Whether or not you believe in the randomness of hereditary leadership, it so happens that the current monarch is one of the more skillful and responsible we've had, a respected diplomat, and there's no real reason why she should just hand it over to her son.

people will be clamouring and angry with good reason, but on this occasion I don't think the Royal Family can be implicated.

It's not often you see a post saying that Prince Charles is in touch with what happens in today's Britain, that's for sure.

I think when it comes to expenses he outdoes all the grasping MPs put together! Whereas the Queen's comparatively thrifty and disapproves of his extravagance. I think if Charles was ruler during Austerity measures there'd be a revolution. Maybe it's a good idea after all. :hihi:

Given that there is imminent reform from all quarters with the wrangling of a hung parliament, could the queen choose to abdicate and leave any constitutional reform up to Charles if its required?

Why would she want to?

Although I am not a royalist, I do feel that the Queen has always taken her role very seriously, and do the role Justice, and that she tried (And, I think succeeded) to make the best job of the mantle that was passed to her and her father by default through the abdication of her uncle.

Why would she want to?

Although I am not a royalist, I do feel that the Queen has always taken her role very seriously, and do the role Justice, and that she tried (And, I think succeeded) to make the best job of the mantle that was passed to her and her father by default through the abdication of her uncle.

Because she is in her 80's ?

I agree the Queen does a great job but this would be a good a time as any to consider it. Maybe not right away, maybe x amount of time after we have a stable Govt.

I think that the situation that got her in the position of our head of state makes it easier to consider abdication not more difficult. The last time it happened it left us with the Queen and that turned out ok.

Archived