Could 2010 election bring on the abdication of the queen ?

If charles dies before the queen then the line of succession passes to andrew. William would then be no longer eligible

Didn't know that-learn something on here everyday!

Don't believe all you hear, alch, bf...

If Charles dies before the Queen, then William automatically will succeed to the throne. as soon as Diana gave birth to Prince William, everyone in line to the throne took one step to the side, including Prince Andrew and his heirs. When Prince Harry arrived, they took another step away.

Had Charles without "issue" (children), then yes, the throne would have passed to Andrew, but it goes:-

Charles'

William

any offspring of William.

any offspring of theirs...etc.

If william dies without issue, it would go:-

Charles

William

Harry

any offspring of Harry.

If Harry dies without issue, then it would go

Charles

William

Harry

Andrew

Any offspring of Andrew

(Just to clarify... offspring meaning firstborn male heir, in this case. - note how Princess Anne is now way down the list of those in line, at 10th, after Andrew and Edward, who are both younger than her.)

the list of the first 24 in line for the throne reads as follows:-

1. HRH The Prince Charles, The Prince of Wales (1948 ), eldest son of HM Queen Elizabeth II

2. HRH Prince William of Wales (1982), elder son of HRH The Prince Charles, The Prince of Wales

3. HRH Prince Henry of Wales (1984), younger son of HRH The Prince Charles, The Prince of Wales

4. HRH The Prince Andrew, The Duke of York (1960), second son of HM Queen Elizabeth II

5. HRH Princess Beatrice of York (1988 ), elder daughter of HRH The Prince Andrew, The Duke of York

6. HRH Princess Eugenie of York (1990), younger daughter of HRH The Prince Andrew, The Duke of York

7. HRH The Prince Edward, The Earl of Wessex (1964), youngest son of HM Queen Elizabeth II

8. James Windsor, Viscount Severn (2007), son of HRH The Prince Edward, The Earl of Wessex

9. Lady Louise Windsor (2003), daughter of HRH The Prince Edward, The Earl of Wessex

10. HRH The Princess Anne, The Princess Royal (1950), only daughter of HM Queen Elizabeth II

11. Peter Phillips (1977), son of HRH The Princess Anne, The Princess Royal

12. Zara Phillips (1981), daughter of HRH The Princess Anne, The Princess Royal

13. David Armstrong-Jones, Viscount Linley (1961), son of HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon

14. The Honourable Charles Armstrong-Jones (1999), son of David Armstrong-Jones, Viscount Linley

15. The Honourable Margarita Armstrong-Jones (2002), daughter of David Armstrong-Jones, Viscount Linley

16. Lady Sarah Chatto (1964), daughter of HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon

17. Samuel Chatto (1996), son of Lady Sarah Chatto

18. Arthur Chatto (1999), son of Lady Sarah Chatto

19. HRH Prince Richard, The Duke of Gloucester (1944), son of HRH The Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester, 3rd son of HM King George V

20. Alexander Windsor, Earl of Ulster (1974), son of HRH Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester

21. Xan Windsor, Lord Culloden (2007), son of Alexander Windsor, Earl of Ulster

22. Lady Davina Lewis (1977), daughter of HRH Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester

23. Lady Rose Gilman (1980), daughter of HRH Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester

24. HRH Prince Edward, The Duke of Kent (1935), son of HRH The Prince George, Duke of Kent, fourth son of HM King George V

I understand what your saying about everyone side stepping when William was born but that only works on the assumption that Charles is King to pass it on. I would have thought that the earlier poster would be correct and it go to the Queens next son in line and not her grandchildren.

Anyone know for sure ?

I understand what your saying about everyone side stepping when William was born but that only works on the assumption that Charles is King to pass it on. I would have thought that the earlier poster would be correct and it go to the Queens next son in line and not her grandchildren.

Anyone know for sure ?

yes I do. as I showed when I posted the order of succession, above.

If Charles dies before the Queen (God forbid) , it passes by the law of primogeniture to William, his eldest son.

Anyone know for sure ?

Again.... yes, I do. as I posted above. Because Charles has got his son, the succession passes to William, through the laws of primogeniture.

Don't believe all you hear, alch, bf...

If Charles dies before the Queen, then William automatically will succeed to the throne. as soon as Diana gave birth to Prince William, everyone in line to the throne took one step to the side, including Prince Andrew and his heirs. When Prince Harry arrived, they took another step away.

Had Charles without "issue" (children), then yes, the throne would have passed to Andrew, but it goes:-

Charles'

William

any offspring of William.

any offspring of theirs...etc.

If william dies without issue, it would go:-

Charles

William

Harry

any offspring of Harry.

If Harry dies without issue, then it would go

Charles

William

Harry

Andrew

Any offspring of Andrew

(Just to clarify... offspring meaning firstborn male heir, in this case. - note how Princess Anne is now way down the list of those in line, at 10th, after Andrew and Edward, who are both younger than her.)

the list of the first 24 in line for the throne reads as follows:-

1. HRH The Prince Charles, The Prince of Wales (1948), eldest son of HM Queen Elizabeth II

2. HRH Prince William of Wales (1982), elder son of HRH The Prince Charles, The Prince of Wales

3. HRH Prince Henry of Wales (1984), younger son of HRH The Prince Charles, The Prince of Wales

4. HRH The Prince Andrew, The Duke of York (1960), second son of HM Queen Elizabeth II

5. HRH Princess Beatrice of York (1988), elder daughter of HRH The Prince Andrew, The Duke of York

6. HRH Princess Eugenie of York (1990), younger daughter of HRH The Prince Andrew, The Duke of York

7. HRH The Prince Edward, The Earl of Wessex (1964), youngest son of HM Queen Elizabeth II

8. James Windsor, Viscount Severn (2007), son of HRH The Prince Edward, The Earl of Wessex

9. Lady Louise Windsor (2003), daughter of HRH The Prince Edward, The Earl of Wessex

10. HRH The Princess Anne, The Princess Royal (1950), only daughter of HM Queen Elizabeth II

11. Peter Phillips (1977), son of HRH The Princess Anne, The Princess Royal

12. Zara Phillips (1981), daughter of HRH The Princess Anne, The Princess Royal

13. David Armstrong-Jones, Viscount Linley (1961), son of HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon

14. The Honourable Charles Armstrong-Jones (1999), son of David Armstrong-Jones, Viscount Linley

15. The Honourable Margarita Armstrong-Jones (2002), daughter of David Armstrong-Jones, Viscount Linley

16. Lady Sarah Chatto (1964), daughter of HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon

17. Samuel Chatto (1996), son of Lady Sarah Chatto

18. Arthur Chatto (1999), son of Lady Sarah Chatto

19. HRH Prince Richard, The Duke of Gloucester (1944), son of HRH The Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester, 3rd son of HM King George V

20. Alexander Windsor, Earl of Ulster (1974), son of HRH Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester

21. Xan Windsor, Lord Culloden (2007), son of Alexander Windsor, Earl of Ulster

22. Lady Davina Lewis (1977), daughter of HRH Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester

23. Lady Rose Gilman (1980), daughter of HRH Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester

24. HRH Prince Edward, The Duke of Kent (1935), son of HRH The Prince George, Duke of Kent, fourth son of HM King George V

Thats what I thought (in less detail) but wasnt convinced enough to argue about it!

Archived