Could 2010 election bring on the abdication of the queen ?

Shouldn't this thread be in the 2010 general election thread ?? There are too many threads on here that are all going on about the same situation that should all be grouped together in one mega thread and let those that want to talk about other things have a chance without being knocked down the list by election this election that blah blah blah opinions.. :rant: Put all the election related posts in one place saves bandwidth and all of us that are not bovvered wading through samey samey threads that we dont care about..

Bring it on learned politicist (that wasnt a spelling mistake either) :confused:

Shouldn't this thread be in the 2010 general election thread ?? There are too many threads on here that are all going on about the same situation that should all be grouped together in one mega thread and let those that want to talk about other things have a chance without being knocked down the list by election this election that blah blah blah opinions.. :rant: Put all the election related posts in one place saves bandwidth and all of us that are not bovvered wading through samey samey threads that we dont care about..

Bring it on learned politicist (that wasnt a spelling mistake either) :confused:

This is not directly talking about the election, there,s an interest in the Royalty of this country outside of this election.

Have you tryed http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/support/ ?

This is not directly talking about the election, there,s an interest in the Royalty of this )country outside of this election.

Have you tryed http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/support/ ?

please try and keep grammar to the expectations of those that care about political issues ;), As I don't, you are let off ;) but why should the forum be overrun by politics when it can be confined to one thread ??

please try and keep grammar to the expectations of those that care about political issues ;), As I don't, you are let off ;) but why should the forum be overrun by politics when it can be confined to one thread ??
ER HUM !! cough cough. oop's forgot the comma... :D:D
What a sad peculiar individual you are.

Spelling and Grammar eh? You got me oh great one, what now ? report me to the education department to re sit my exams ? have to do community service in the English department at the local comp ?

maybe you could get the Mods to ban me until I understand what an adverb is ?

30 lashes for not using an apostrophe.

Sad, sad, sad person you turned out to be.

What a sad peculiar individual you are.

Spelling and Grammar eh? You got me oh great one, what now ? report me to the education department to re sit my exams ? have to do community service in the English department at the local comp ?

maybe you could get the Mods to ban me until I understand what an adverb is ?

30 lashes for not using an apostrophe.

Sad, sad, sad person you turned out to be.

I apologise if I have caused you distress but you are not Hardtomiss are you ??

I shall now back off this thread as I have started my own...

no hard feelings old chap ;)

The Queen won't abdicate by choice, her roots were steeped in the shame of the abdication of her uncle, which catapulted her shy unprepared father onto the throne. Her family, rightly or wrongly, believed that it led to his early grave. It may seem old fashioned to us, but that's what 'abdication' is associated with in her eyes.

It's right that there's going to be a real shake up in so many ways, but one of the plus points of a constitutional monarchy (and I'm not a flag waving monarchist) is the continuity it gives beyond other political changes. I don't see the point in change for the sake of it. The Queen has decades of experience in her constitutional duties and dealings with government, our own and with Commonwealth leaders too. Whether or not you believe in the randomness of hereditary leadership, it so happens that the current monarch is one of the more skillful and responsible we've had, a respected diplomat, and there's no real reason why she should just hand it over to her son.

people will be clamouring and angry with good reason, but on this occasion I don't think the Royal Family can be implicated.

Very well said.:thumbsup:

On the other hand if queen Elizabeth decided to step down I wouldn't see her designating William to take over instead of her own son. That would be a slap in the face and a humilaition of gigantic proportions
She couldn't do that anyway, the right of succession isn't hers to decide, it's just an accident of birth who gets the job. They're not the Kennedys or the Bushs you know ;)

Archived