I want proportional representation, now.

More than anything this election has persuaded me that we should have proportional representation, now.

And I`m not just a "whining Lib Dem", I actually voted labour !

Tories = 36% of the vote > 47% of the seats

Labour = 29% of the vote > 40% of the seats

Lib Dems = 23% of the vote > 8% of the seats (that`s eight percent)

How is that fair ?

A huge percentage of the country (living in safe seats) are effectively disenfranchised, their vote is almost useless.

What`s all this guff about strong effective government ?

If we`d had a balanced parliament we`d have avoided things like the Poll tax and Iraq.

The most successful economy (and football team.....) in Europe is Germany, and they`ve had PR since the war.

Greece, an economic basket case, doesn`t have PR.

I also think we should have 5 year fixed parliaments and no leader should be allowed more than two terms, both the last two 3 term leaders went down hill in their third term (Thatcher and Blair).

There`s so much hypocrisy about PR it`s breathtaking.

More than anything this election has persuaded me that we should have proportional representation, now.

How is that fair ?

It isn't fair. But Cameron has firmly set his mind against any electoral reform which would make the voting system fairer and more representative of people actually voted.

The current voting system, of first past the post, served the country well when most of the voters chose between Labour or Conservative. But we no longer have a two party system - but the voting system hasn't been changed to reflect that fact. I strongly support the need for proportional representation.

Declaration of interest: redrobbo is a Labour Party member and also a member of Makes Votes Count and the Labour Campaign for Electoral Reform.

How is that fair ?

A huge percentage of the country (living in safe seats) are effectively disenfranchised, their vote is almost useless.

If we`d had a balanced parliament we`d have avoided things like the Poll tax and Iraq.

The most successful economy (and football team.....) in Europe is Germany, and they`ve had PR since the war.

I also think we should have 5 year fixed parliaments and no leader should be allowed more than two terms, both the last two 3 term leaders went down hill in their third term (Thatcher and Blair).

There are lots of complications with proportional representation but I am sure it could be made to work. How do you typically decide the local MP in each constituency when using PR, or does the system completely change so that isn't applicable?

I think it is a catch 22 when it comes to how many terms or how long a term a government should have. If you make it a fixed length and fixed number then there is no incentive to make long term plans as you won't be able to stay around to see them through.

How is that fair ?

You utter utter Cleggist!

Archived