I want proportional representation, now.

It isn't fair. But Cameron has firmly set his mind against any electoral reform which would make the voting system fairer and more representative of people actually voted.

The current voting system, of first past the post, served the country well when most of the voters chose between Labour or Conservative. But we no longer have a two party system - but the voting system hasn't been changed to reflect that fact. I strongly support the need for proportional representation.

Declaration of interest: redrobbo is a Labour Party member and also a member of Makes Votes Count and the Labour Campaign for Electoral Reform.

Blair and Brown also set their minds firmly "against any electoral reform which would make the voting system fairer and more representative of people actually voted" and deliberately suppressed attempts at reform during their 13 years in power despite having made promises to reform.

But my question was a genuine one for Justin Smith who said

More than anything this election has persuaded me that we should have proportional representation, now.

I just wondered why this election more than other elections has led for the call for PR......is it perhaps that Clegg has made PR more high profile than it was before, bearing in mind the Lib Dems have always argued for PR for decades.

what about the BNP ?

Under PR, the BNP would have MP's.........

Depends upon the system adopted.

Besides don't forget that the BNP's strongest support is in utterly safe Labour seats that have been neglected under the current system. Creating areas of neglected people ready for the BNP to work on.

Under PR Labour would no longer be able to take it's safe seats for granted and the Lib Dem, Conservatives... would have a reason to expend significant energy campaigning in those areas, this would actually serve to make things considerably harder for the BNP.

Not that a party you dislike possibly being given a chance is a very democratic reason for opposing a fair voting system of course.

Archived