I want proportional representation, now.

If Parliament did introduce proportional representation, then presumably the current system where each constituency chooses its MP would have to go. - If there were (say) 500 constituencies, then each party would be allocated one MP for every 0.2% of the votes it gained and then the MPs would have to be allocated to each of the 500 constituencies.

I wonder which constituencies would be given BNP MPs? Do you think anybody might object if they were told: "Nick Griffin is your MP"?

If Parliament did introduce proportional representation, then presumably the current system where each constituency chooses its MP would have to go. - If there were (say) 500 constituencies, then each party would be allocated one MP for every 0.2% of the votes it gained and then the MPs would have to be allocated to each of the 500 constituencies.

I wonder which constituencies would be given BNP MPs? Do you think anybody might object if they were told: "Nick Griffin is your MP"?

The system you describe is like none I've ever heard of or one that is the least bit likely to be introduced.

Under a pure PR system somewhat like you describe there are no constituencies so nobody would be told "Nick Griffin is your MP". Also because pure PR without a fresh-hold tends to encourage a fragmentation of politics with lots of very small parties (as has happened in Israel for example) it is most unlikely that there'd be serious moves to introduce it here. PR with a threshold, usually 2% or more, is generally seen as preferable as it helps stop parties fragmenting, the BNP are most unlikely to get over any fresh-hold.

However in a country like the UK with strong regional identities and parties pure PR with or without a threshold would be unacceptable as it would lead places like Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland without the distinctive voices many their demand. Such systems also have the problem of handing too much power to party bosses with MPs only really accountable to & directly influenced by them not the voters.

Because of this a system such as AV+, AMS or STV would be preferable as they maintain a link between some/most MPs and a specific geographical area to which they are accountable.

Personally I prefer STV as:

• it is a fair system with a minimum of wasted votes
  • all MPs are directly elected by name by voters in constituencies to whom they are accountable, this limits the power of party bosses
  • it doesn't encourage an excessive fragmentation of parties in the way some systems do.

Archived