Progressive vs status quo

You'd hope that a conservative government, by definition of the word conservative (i.e. maintenence of the social ecology), would at least keep the positive reforms taken forward by the previous government (yes, there are many). Reforms that support equality of opportunity.

If "progressive" becomes a dirty word, we'll be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. There are reforms that can and should be made in the name of individual emancipation and social mobility - an incentive to be creative and productive. There are still injustices to iron out of the system. Why resign oneself to a "conservative" position simply for the sake of ideology?

What is "progressive" politics meant to mean? I've heard them saying it, politicians, but to me it's just a sound bite, a buzz word with little meaning to me, so what is it actually meant to mean?

Good question. In political terms I see it as a piece of legislation that aims to free people from forms of social or economic oppression that either undermine their individual liberty or limit their ability to fulfill the means society requires of them. E.g.

Allowing women to vote.

Easing the tax burden for the low paid.

Health and safety at work.

Universal health care.

All progressive issues IMO since they embody progress for the emancipation of the individual.

What is "progressive" politics meant to mean? I've heard them saying it, politicians, but to me it's just a sound bite, a buzz word with little meaning to me, so what is it actually meant to mean?

It means minorities having the upper hand.

Their manifesto says they're going to allow companies to audit their own systems for health and safety at work.

Whose manifesto? Sorry this wasn't intended to be a partisan thread.

Either way, I doubt the HSE will be abolished.

Archived