Were you working in the 50's & 60's?

Fist job was at WH Smiths , I forget the name of the steet, they were in lovely big old building on a corner, we had to get the orders together for the salesmen, I don't think there was a thing that they didn't sell.....after that it was a few cutlery factories and a furniture shop, I enjoyed every job I had, met nice people and always had a good laugh.

Ist job at 16 at Weston Seniors wholesalers on West Bar (1957), I only lived quarter of a mile away but was late often. Stan Weston fired me one day but rang our pub next day, and said come back which I did but no money there so went to Sammy Osbornes which was a bit of an eye-opener to say the least, but taught me about life as a working man.

• 10 years later...

Started at English Steel Corporation on Brightside Lane on 7th September 1960 as Research trainee where we spent 3 months in every Research Laboratory & Works Metallurgical Dept.  I was also a Works Guide taking parties of visitors round the works. After 3 years I went into the Welding laboratory as my permanent job. Welding was a technology that was moving rapidly at that time.  In October 1967 I got a job at British Iron & Steel Research Association on Hoyle St in  Steelmaking Dept where I stayed until that site was closed in 1976 when steelmaking moved to a new Lab at Teesside. Other Depts moved to Swinden Labs at Rotherham.  By the time we moved BISRA had been brought into British Steel Corporation. 

I started my working life in 1964 as a "trainee cost accountant" at Geo. Bassett & Co. Absolutely hated it and left after 12 month's to join the Sheffield Smelting Company as an "accounts trainee".  This was at Royds Mill, Windsor Street. Spent 5 years working there and qualified as an accountant, at the age of 21, in 1969. A completely different life then but thoroughly enjoyable and made some good friends. Sadly now I have lost touch with everyone from that era.

Edited by Dorset Blade

Started my working life in 1955, at British Railways, Wicker Goods depot. First as a Junior Clerk, then as a Messenger, then as a Numbertaker.

Later went into the cutlery industry where I spent most of my life as a Machine Grinder.