Does a car dealer have to declare a car accident damaged?

Can anybody answer this question?

Bought a car from a dealer almost two years ago on finance (still paying).

A friend recently said he thought it had been in an accident, i obviously said no having not been involved in any accidents at all.

If i do the checks etc and find out that the car had been involved in an accident prior to my purchase date and i was not informed of this by the dealer either verbally or on any paperwork what can i do?

Did the dealer have an obligation to inform me when i purchased the car dependent of the catagory of damage.

Can i tell the finance company and see what they say, i just dont know.

Searched the web to no outcome :loopy:

you could have found this out before buying it by having an hpi check done

The finance company also hpi the car before they pay out and usually as part of the customer and vehicle application.

It may have been a third party unrecorded write off where the insurers knew nothing about the crash, i.e the car hit a wall or tree and not another car and therefore dodges the system.

Ask the finance company as they are responsible for the goods they fund and they have a duty to you.

Did you buy it off Bramall Lane??

the dealer may have not known it was in an accident, and as you said it only from somebody suggesting to you that it has thats made you think.

i had a new lexus that was hit in the rear by an hgv, it was repaired by lexus and didnt show up on any check as a class c/d damage repaired.

i p/xed the car at lexus and they never asked if it had been in an accident and no doubt when they sold it they never disclosed the fact.

an accident can be as minor as a bumper scuff or dent but would you declare this to somebody who was looking to buy your car.

Hi all

If i was to run a garage i would explain if i knew that the car had been hit but like dongel says would you tell someone if they were looking at your car

if a car is written off it is put into a catagory A B C D

these are broken down into diffrent ones I know CAT C is damaged but can be repaired but it has to have a VIC check to ensure work has been done right

Google the catagories I know the insurance dont always record CAT C so if they dont record it who will????

Archived