Why would the Labour Party agree to proportional representation?

All talk at the moment is about PR and the Lib Dems doing a deal with one of the other parties in exchange for a referendum on PR.

It appears that the Conservatives have rejected the idea, but that Gordon Brown may be prepared to offer a deal that promised a vote on PR.

Why would they do that? In an election where Labour got 29% of the vote they have picked up 40% of the seats and that is on a bad day when they lost. Under PR on a good day when they won they wouldn't get that many MPs.

As the prize for giving away your future electoral prospects is to cling on to power in a minority government that probably wouldn't last 12 months I just wonder why they would make such an offer. With PR Labour would never again have an outright majority in a British government.:huh::huh:

anything to stay in number 10. I can't understand why the tories wouldn't agree. Unless they want labour to be in power for the blame years

it is funny how rapidly labour started support PR. Fair play to the conservatives for trying to keep to their decision even though I disagree. They get points for being less desperate and telling the truth more often

anything to stay in number 10. I can't understand why the tories wouldn't agree. Unless they want labour to be in power for the blame years

it is funny how rapidly labour started support PR. Fair play to the conservatives for trying to keep to their decision even though I disagree. They get points for being less desperate and telling the truth more often

I can see that but the price is massive. Under PR Labour would lose another 72 MPs from the line up that it has just had elected and would be unlikely to ever do much better in future.

I can see that but the price is massive. Under PR Labour would lose another 72 MPs from the line up that it has just had elected and would be unlikely to ever do much better in future.

yes but you can just about see gordons finger tips clinging to the doorframe. If they sack him off maybe labour would bow down gracefully

It was on bbc news 24 just over an hour since that david cameron had agreed to discuss proportional representation with nick clegg, so how is that rejecting the idea. Even though they have got the lowest number of seats out of the 3 main parties, the lib dems have got power to hold over the other 2 parties until they decide who they will be willing to work with.

Archived