What is Silversmiths like?

alexi1987

As swordfish1 says, there are quite a few threads on Silversmiths.

I've been a couple of times on 'Pie Night' (although not for a year now) and it is good value, the pies are excellent although the portions are a bit on the small side. I also went there last December, as they were open for lunch during the festive season. Ditto re the portions, however, the food was delicious.

Thanks for the advice. Will have a look at previous posts as well. Pie night sounds like fun but will read some other reviews first as not really wanting to venture in to town to eat if its not all that good.:)

I went to silversmiths on friday night and i must say that i probably won't be going again.

At first we couldn't choose our food or drinks as all of the menu's and wine lists were being used (have never heard of this before- they were only on sheets of printed paper!!)

We then had to wait 50 minutes for our starters to be brought out, one of which was the wrong thing entirely so we then had to wait another 10 minutes for my wifes to be cooked- they were nothing to write home about we both thought, but the ownder did come over and apologise and knocked them off the bill- i thought this was a nice touch for this to be offered rather than me having to ask for it (which i was just about to do- he must be a mind reader!!)

The mains came pretty fast after that which was good as we were still pretty hungry, i had the steak and chips, the chips were very nice, fluffy and hand cut but my steak was underdone, i didn't send it back as i don't mind eating it rare but im sure a fussier diner would have done, my wifes chicken was very nice though and she ate the lot.

Overall we both agreed it was a very average meal at fairly reasonable prices, the venue has a nice atmosphere although the service does leave alot to be desired.

we were there for my partner's birthday tonight, and we weren't at all impressed. There were 16 people booked, we booked 2 weeks ago but found it hard to get them to return our messages, then there was a great fuss about they couldn't cope wth more than 12 people, then we could only have a restricted menu, then we had to get people to pre-order. I'd have thought EITHER pre-ordering from a full menu OR ordring on the night from a restruicted menu would be more reasonable. Then when the set menu came the options were very very poor (chicken breast, rump steak, pearl barley in pastry). The whole pricing structure for wednesdays is 3 courses £16, but the steak carries a £2 surcharge- fair enough if you have the whole menu to choose from, but if you have a £16 set menu and one option is veggie, and one has a steak surchatge then its really only one chicken option at the stated set menu price!

The guy running it seemed a bit reluctant to let the waitress bring us tap water, salmon starters had very little salmon, 'roast tomato' starter turned out to actually be soup, some portions on all courses were twice the size of others, rump steak very gristly, the birthday 'boy' main course was forgotten, the bill came and was overcharged by 2 people, and had a 10% service charge itemised, but said at the bottom 'service not included'- and after we asked them to take the over-billed meals off, the service charge stayed at 10% of the overcharged price. Mashed potato side order tasted VERY strange, definitely not the same type of potato used for the other side dishes, when asked what variety of potato had been used waitress promised to find out then avoided us- which we thought was SMASHing. Specially ordered wheat and dairy free food for friend with an alergy came with bread croutons, when pointed out chef brought it back apologised and had taken croutons off, saying it should now be fine as there was only mayonnaise. Checked with waitress if the mayonnaise was egg-free, she said she had checked and 'the chef believes that egg is poultry, not dairy'- vegans beware- while there is a lively debate to be had (see internet for full details), usually better with food alergies not to take a risk!

We did kind of feel that they were trying, but it was all a bit of a disaster really. Maybe Gordon Brown can have another crack at it.

we were there for my partner's birthday tonight, and we weren't at all impressed. There were 16 people booked, we booked 2 weeks ago but found it hard to get them to return our messages, then there was a great fuss about they couldn't cope wth more than 12 people, then we could only have a restricted menu, then we had to get people to pre-order. I'd have thought EITHER pre-ordering from a full menu OR ordring on the night from a restruicted menu would be more reasonable. Then when the set menu came the options were very very poor (chicken breast, rump steak, pearl barley in pastry). The whole pricing structure for wednesdays is 3 courses £16, but the steak carries a £2 surcharge- fair enough if you have the whole menu to choose from, but if you have a £16 set menu and one option is veggie, and one has a steak surchatge then its really only one chicken option at the stated set menu price!

The guy running it seemed a bit reluctant to let the waitress bring us tap water, salmon starters had very little salmon, 'roast tomato' starter turned out to actually be soup, some portions on all courses were twice the size of others, rump steak very gristly, the birthday 'boy' main course was forgotten, the bill came and was overcharged by 2 people, and had a 10% service charge itemised, but said at the bottom 'service not included'- and after we asked them to take the over-billed meals off, the service charge stayed at 10% of the overcharged price. Mashed potato side order tasted VERY strange, definitely not the same type of potato used for the other side dishes, when asked what variety of potato had been used waitress promised to find out then avoided us- which we thought was SMASHing. Specially ordered wheat and dairy free food for friend with an alergy came with bread croutons, when pointed out chef brought it back apologised and had taken croutons off, saying it should now be fine as there was only mayonnaise. Checked with waitress if the mayonnaise was egg-free, she said she had checked and 'the chef believes that egg is poultry, not dairy'- vegans beware- while there is a lively debate to be had (see internet for full details), usually better with food alergies not to take a risk!

We did kind of feel that they were trying, but it was all a bit of a disaster really. Maybe Gordon Brown can have another crack at it.

I assumed you meant Gordon Ramsay. ;)

Unfortunately, I've heard all too many stories like this about Silversmiths.

It sounds very much like it's on it's uppers again and has learned very little from the intervention it had from Gordon. If it is on it's uppers, although wallowing in the misfortune of others isn't my style, I'm glad: A restaurant that treats it's customer base like cretinous sheep doesn't deserve custom; doesn't deserve to have the opportunity to pretend that it's anything other than what it is, and frankly, in today's world where the consumer is king, doesn't deserve to exist.

Note to the owner if he's reading: It's maybe time to get out of the industry and do something that you can do! Instead of taking people's money in return for a pile of droll, uninspiring, second rate tut.

• 1 month later...

I went about 9 months ago for our anniversary, and it was 3 courses for £15 or something similar, and the food was excellent, and would happily recommend it! It's a different chef (had just changed when we went) from the one when Ramsay helped them out.

Archived