What is Silversmiths like?

alexi1987

went in back in December, and had a pretty poor experience. we hadn't booked, but the place was near empty midweek. my sister was up from london visiting for the evening, as she was in the north for work. we were hoping for a chance to have an early dinner, and then have a drink somewhere to catch up

so, at near seven pm, we stood and waited while three different people checked and double checked books, and went to ask if we could be accommodated. then we were just left. nearly 5 minutes passed, then one of the first people came back and said hello again, as they thought we had just walked in - they had forgotten about us.

we were seated in the window, next to a bucket that was collecting a drip from a leaking light socket. over the next two hours, only two more diners came in, meaning that a total of 7 people were eating.

despite the fact that all the menus were in the window, when we (belatedly) sat down, we were told we had to eat from the new Christmas deal (that wasn't in the window), ie: turkey and trimmings, nut roast, a fish dish and a couple of other bits from memory - fewer choices that expected. the (i assume) owner came over to enthuse us about the menu, and say how he would be back later, as he would love to hear our feedback on the brilliant new Christmas menu, all smiles and big hand gestures - he wasn't that bothered though, as he put his coat on and left about 10 minutes later

the drinks took an age to arrive. the starters came fairly quickly, but the mains were distant in their delivery. also absent were any waitresses. prompt and friendly when the manager / owner was about, they turned surly and lazy when he had gone. we ended up going to the bar and waiting in order to get some more drinks to replace those we has exhausted while waiting for our mains.

eventually we finished our meals, and dragged the bill from reluctant service staff. the bill was wrong - overcharging us (an extra round of drinks, and three times 3 courses when one of us had only had a main and a desert). this took a phenomenal amount of time to resolve, and there was an air of disbelief from the staff.

finally once that was sorted, we made to leave, but couldn't, as our coats were being kept backstage somewhere, and the staff (probably in absence of tip from us) again disappeared completely. this time, the duration was comical. i managed to find a chef, who said he would find our coats, but then went off himself. eventually my sister stood up, walked backstage and found them herself, and we promptly left.

it was a real shame, as the look and feel of the place is brilliant, and the food was great (if not exactly a bargain, even after the bill was bought back into line, it was still over £25 a head). but it was the single worst service i have seen in a normal restaurant - far beneath anything i have experienced, even in 'Frankie and Benny's'-esque chain joints. we didn't complain, as i think it was clear that we weren't impressed, and it was unlikely that it would make any difference to the staff who were there, if we could have found one!

the whole event had taken so long, we didn't have time to go to a pub afterward, so the whole night was a blowout. i'm guessing it was a one off bad night, but it has put me off going back! the few occasions we have been out since, in that part of town, we go to ego, as the setting is nice, the service is great, and the food, if not breathtaking, is clean and simple, always tasty, and served promptly (if almost TOO quick! :D).

i never thought it would happen, but I've ended up recommending a chain over a independent business.

Went for the first time last night and was greatly impressed. Hadn't booked a table but luckily there'd been a cancellation so after a bit of a wait during which we had a lovely cocktail we were given a table. Lovely food, only criticism being that I had the fishcakes and a piece of lemon to squeeze over would have been nice. Staff very professional and food absolutely lovely, can't wait to go back :)

If we do have to each in town we go to the Wig & Pen satisfactory or

catch the tram to the Locke Fyne. Those two always seem to please.

This threads about Silversmiths restaurant isn't it?

I go regularly and have always enjoyed it, been going for years.

we went a couple of months ago and found it to be dissapointing- incorrect dishes, an hour wait inbetween courses and having to chase the waiter each time we wanted anything- we did complain but it wasn't the ideal first impression- won't be going back im afraid.

We went last month for our anniversary & had quite a dissapointing experience.

Starters were OK.

My hubbys main was OK

Mine was terrible. I ordered the sirloin steak, when it came it was cold & I couldn't cut through most of it even with a steak knife for all the sinewy bits in it, the chips were over cooked & tasted like the fat in the fryer needed changing.

When they came to clear our table it was clear that all was not well with my meal as I'd only managed to eat a bit of it!

Service was pretty slow also.

We got the cost of my main refunded, a free drink & then a free cocktail when they found out it was our anniversary!!

I still won't be in a hurry to go back

Archived