Depression and incapacity benefit problem

A friend of mine is suffering from severe depression and cannot work. She simply can't even get out of bed, doesn't dress or wash, and is in a terrible state.

She is off work and has been on incapacity benefit for over 3 months. her doctor wants her to be medicated but she is refusing. Now he is suggesting that unless she agrees to it he will be unable / unwilling to sign her medical certificates.

Does anybody have any idea if he is allowed to do this?

What is her legal position? I must admit I think medication is a good idea and have tried to persuade her myself, but she is totally against it and seems to be giving up.

I don't think that he can hold her medical certificates to ransom for her agreeing to take medication- she's ill and that's irrelevant of whether she takes medication for it.

However, if she's that ill then someone needs to find a way to make her consider starting on medication because she's obviously got a mental health problem and that really does need attention and treatment. Is there nobody who she trusts enough to talk to who can sit her down and explain to her that with mental health problems it's quite possible that she will be considered to be unable to make decisions on her own behalf and sectioned by force if she doesn't start taking positive decisions to be proactive on her own behalf?

Thankyou all for your responses and good advice. I'll certainly try talking to her again. I think she's waiting for some kind of counselling / psychiatric assessment so that will hopefully help one way or another.

Good luck with the baby Amyrach, I bet your hormones are all over the place at the moment so hopefully you'll be back on a more even keel soon.

Best wishes.

I don't think that he can hold her medical certificates to ransom for her agreeing to take medication

...but possibly the DWP will refuse to accept them. Almost certainly she'll fail the first DWP interview she has as soon as they find out she's "not even ill enough to need medical treatment" - which, sadly, is the only way the DWP will look at it.

I have to agree with Medusa. If she is not careful the Doctor may decide that she is incapable of making rational judgements for herself which will in turn lead to her being sectioned where medication WILL BE ADMINISTERED to her whether she wants it or not.

From personal experience being sectioned is not a good experience. While it is not quite one flew over the cuckoo's nest, it's not exactly a picnic in the park either. Have you tried to get your friend to take the medication. As unpleasant the side effects can be when first starting the medication it is nothing compared to the illness or to the unpleasant process of being sectioned for six months.

It is far better to work with your Doctors and show a willingness (before anyone starts it does require an element of effort on the part of the patient to want to feel better) outside of a hospital environment than to try and argue the toss as an in-patient.

The poor girl .. I can sympathise, but sometimes in the short term, medication is a good thing .. it will relieve some symptoms and enable her body and mind to heal itself .. sometimes we all need a little help, and there's nothing to be ashamed of in needing it.

Thankyou all for your responses and good advice. I'll certainly try talking to her again. I think she's waiting for some kind of counselling / psychiatric assessment so that will hopefully help one way or another.

Good luck with the baby Amyrach, I bet your hormones are all over the place at the moment so hopefully you'll be back on a more even keel soon.

Best wishes.

thankyou darling xxxxx

A friend of mine is suffering from severe depression and cannot work. She simply can't even get out of bed, doesn't dress or wash, and is in a terrible state.

She is off work and has been on incapacity benefit for over 3 months. her doctor wants her to be medicated but she is refusing. Now he is suggesting that unless she agrees to it he will be unable / unwilling to sign her medical certificates.

Does anybody have any idea if he is allowed to do this?

What is her legal position? I must admit I think medication is a good idea and have tried to persuade her myself, but she is totally against it and seems to be giving up.

If the doctor is threatening to do this then I would try and see a different doctor, as it seems like he doesnt have the greatest understanding of mental health issues. With the medication side of things your friend may have had a bad experience with the meds in the past. If this were one of my friends I would recommend to them to allow the doctor to prescribe the medicine and collect the prescription from the chemist. Once you have them perhaps you could read all the info on the leaflet and maybe do soem research online so that you can either reassure your friend they are OK to take, or help her find a more suitable alternative tablet and assist her in discussing a different medication with the doctor? But in the meantime as far as he is concerned she has the meds and will not withdraw other treatment and support, and it buys you a bit more time to reassure your friend

Archived