Depression and incapacity benefit problem

A friend of mine is suffering from severe depression and cannot work. She simply can't even get out of bed, doesn't dress or wash, and is in a terrible state.

She is off work and has been on incapacity benefit for over 3 months. her doctor wants her to be medicated but she is refusing. Now he is suggesting that unless she agrees to it he will be unable / unwilling to sign her medical certificates.

Does anybody have any idea if he is allowed to do this?

What is her legal position? I must admit I think medication is a good idea and have tried to persuade her myself, but she is totally against it and seems to be giving up.

She should go to another doctor and get a second opinion... I was off work for 6 months with severe depression and reacted very badly to medication. When you out way the side effects with the benifits it is sometimes best not to bother... she should seek counselling and alternative treatments and get another doctor... they should be working together to find another solution - he cannot force something like this on her I'm sure!

Archived