Cash carriers in shops

andrewb

Last year there was an exchange about cash carriers in shops, especially Banners. I have a website called "The Cash Railway website" if anyone's interested, and I'm always interested to add more shops that had them to the list. I'd be very pleased if "Flashman" would care to get in touch through the contact on my site. Also I don't understand Vera's mention of "Tim Buck, George Binns on Cambridge St." Was the shop name "George Binns"?

Thanks,

AndrewB

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by BILDEBORG

Where might this website be found?......I think it might have helped had you put a link on your posting.

Googled it, so here it is: Cash Railway

by the way I noticed they had one in Specsavers at Crystal Peaks.

I remember the one in Banners, I used to get really fed up wating for the change to come back in "Banner Money" when I went shopping there with my mum. Those were the days when you had a lift attendant to operate the lift to the different floors.

My mum used to buy me a Matchbox toy every week for "being good". I wish I still had them.

I think it might have helped had you put a link on your posting.

Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to put in the link myself 'cos it was my first post to the Forum! (An anti-spamming measure.) Thanks to Lostrider for supplying it.

I'm not attempting to list the modern, plastic pneumatic tube systems - only the pre-1960s brass ones.

I also used to be bought a Matchbox toy some weeks. They were only 1/9 so a bit cheaper than Dinky Toys, which were only for special occasions like birthdays.

AndrewB

• 11 months later...

I worked at Burton Tailoring in Rotherham from 1959-64. Hated every minute of it, but that is a different story. They had a Lamson Paragon air tube system between the two floors - brass, as you say. One day I placed a carrier in the the tube without closing it. Oh dear, what a to do. In the end Steel Peach & Tozer had to be called out to retrieve the carrier, and the customers money. It was a terrible job and I've never ever regretted walking out of it. Not for one minute. I have been in my present job now for 42 years (says something). Full stop.

Last year there was an exchange about cash carriers in shops, especially Banners. I have a website called "The Cash Railway website" if anyone's interested, and I'm always interested to add more shops that had them to the list. I'd be very pleased if "Flashman" would care to get in touch through the contact on my site. Also I don't understand Vera's mention of "Tim Buck, George Binns on Cambridge St." Was the shop name "George Binns"?

Thanks,

AndrewB

Hi,

There used to be a shop in Fargate called Tuckwoods. Long gone- approximately where M & S are now. I seem to remember that they had a cash centre system (railway type) that was a little different.

You entered the shop through a sort of covered arcade with counters on both sides. At the far end was the main shoping area. A large hall with balconies, lots of wrought iron and a glass roof. The cash cente was in the middle of the main hall and the "rail tracks" radiated out.

Seem to think the center was a two-level affair. The low level served the main floor while the high level was for the departments on the balcony. It did the usual trick, like pass through holes in walls, etc.

Quite a few of the Co-op's in the various districts had cash railway systems.

The S & E Co-op at Holly Thorpe Rise (Lees Hall Avenue) for one.

Many of the shops that used to line Fargate had air tube systems. All long gone.

Can't remember what type of cash system Coles Brothers had when they were at the corner of Fargate and Church Street. They went to separate cash registers when they moved to Barker's Pool in 1963. Walsh's also went straight to a separate cash register system when the came back into town (and their rebuilt store) in 1954.

Off-topic but does anyone remember the Dial-Dispatch systems that some steelworks had. These were the big brother of the regular air tube cash systems. The carriers was about the size of an artillery shell with a telephone dial on the end. You put the thing you wanted to send in the carrier (hot steel samples if it was in a steel works), dialed up the destination, and popped it into the system.

Every number you dialed caused the carrier to emit a different sound as it went along. Sensors at the various outlets listened for its own special note or sound. When it heard it, it opened a door and as the carrier came along, it popped out.

Most times it got to the right place - sometimes it didn't. Lots of fun.

Falls

Archived