Why the Lib Dems didn't deliver any seats ?

The only explanation I can think of is that Clegg boxed himself into a bit of a corner by saying he wouldn`t support Brown.

The popular vote breaks down as follows:

Conservative 10,706,647 (306 seats)

Labour 8,604,358 (258 seats)

Liberal Democrat 6,827,938 (57 seats)

Under our current system, the LibDems can get approximately 75% of the number of votes that Labour got, but end up with only 20% of the seats that Labour ended up winning.

The current electoral system is to blame for the LibDem's poor showing, which is why they're always on about changing it.

I'm amazed that you agree with I1L2T3's comment about him being a 'pompous toffee nosed fool'.

I was kind of joking

Anyway I've decided to call him el Toffo instead, because he's posh and he can speak fluent Spanish.

He is a fool though

The popular vote breaks down as follows:

Conservative 10,706,647 (306 seats)

Labour 8,604,358 (258 seats)

Liberal Democrat 6,827,938 (57 seats)

Under our current system, the LibDems can get approximately 75% of the number of votes that Labour got, but end up with only 20% of the seats that Labour ended up winning.

The current electoral system is to blame for the LibDem's poor showing, which is why they're always on about changing it.

But they actually got less seats than before, not more, not even the same !

The point is that, as far as I can remember, the Lib Dems went into the election with higher ratings, yet those ratings didn`t turn into votes, ad particularly not in the marginal constituencies.

Why ?

Obviously the current electoral system is the main reason the Lib Dems got so few seats, but Clegg should try and get it to work for him by encouraging tactical voting, not actively discourage it.

It is an odd state of affairs that a party who has the least support will have a chance to call the shots with whichever party they join power sharing in some capacity.

That`s not quite true though is it ?

Between them Labour and the Lib Dems got more seats and far more votes than the Tories.

Clegg won`t be calling any shots on his own, only with A N Other party.

That`s not quite true though is it ?

Between them Labour and the Lib Dems got more seats and far more votes than the Tories.

Clegg won`t be calling any shots on his own, only with A N Other party.

They should not be allowed to call any shots.If their policies were that good they would have been voted into power.

It is an odd state of affairs that a party who has the least support will have a chance to call the shots with whichever party they join power sharing in some capacity.

and some of the crackpot ideas they come out with like banning the nuclear arms we have. well mr village idiot clegg, if we do that and in 15 years iran launches a nuclear attack on us, we aint gonna stop it with tanks and rifles. considering he is supposed to uni educated, he does talk out of his backside sometimes

and some of the crackpot ideas they come out with like banning the nuclear arms we have. well mr village idiot clegg, if we do that and in 15 years iran launches a nuclear attack on us, we aint gonna stop it with tanks and rifles. considering he is supposed to uni educated, he does talk out of his backside sometimes

:roll: Another one who didn't look at the detail of the policy. It was never proposed that we "banned nuclear arms".

:roll: Another one who didn't look at the detail of the policy. It was never proposed that we "banned nuclear arms".

Indeed. Many people don't realise that some states that are not independent nuclear powers actually have a highly cost effective nuclear deterrent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_sharing

Not saying that this is the right option for Britain but it does show that Trident is not the only option

I have to say I`m very surprised how badly the Lib Dems did in the election, seats wise anyway, remember they did get 23% of the votes.

They got 22% last time out and 62 seats, so not too surprised at the lack of seats this time.

3 polls shortly before the election put the Lib Dems in third place with mid to low twenties, It came as no surprised to me when the exit poll came out as it largely reflected those 3 polls I mentioned, what was more surprising was why many people chose to ignore these 3 polls, even the media glossed over these polls.

Even the politicians that poo pooed the exit poll seemed to have been blinded by the media hype surrounding Clegg.

Well the exit poll turned out to be the most accurate in the history of UK exit polls.

One of the satirical commentators on a TV programme (don't ask which, I only saw the last bit) tonight said we had been on the verge of getting a real change and accused the British people of 'wimping out' on voting LD at the last minute. No-one argued with him ...

Archived