Newbie looking for suggestions to meet my taste

My husband and I will be moving to Sheffield this fall. Our interests generally lie in film, comfortable pubs, food variety and clubs playing dance rock and electro music (most typically found here in the states at gay bars). Which neighborhoods would be good? Being close to the University, safe neighborhoods and public transportation would be nice!

Our interests generally lie in film, comfortable pubs, food variety and clubs playing dance rock and electro music (most typically found here in the states at gay bars).

You'll also be happy to hear that Sheffield does have all of those. It isnt the greatest city in England for them, but you will also be within striking distance of many other cities, thus broadening your choice. Hope you enjoy your time here.

There are a number of places that actually suit your needs, neighbourhoodwise. May I suggest looking in the Sheffield Property and Housing Section for answers to your question, it is frequently asked and answers to some of those threads should help you

A short answer and it really needs a long one - look at Crookes, Broomhill (NOT Broomhall!), Walkley and maybe Hillsborough for the University, Sharrow and Nether Edge for Hallam University. Other areas might suit too.

I'm a US transplant and I live off Ecclesall road and really enjoy it. If you want to stretch your legs the Botanic Gardens and footpathes to the Peaks are right next door. Ecclesall road itself has many great restaurants and pubs and buses run frequently into the city center, making it easy to grab films at the Showroom (Sheffield's artier cinema). If you're interested into ethnic or world food, London Road is a close walk as well.

Broomhill (NOT Broomhall!)

:suspect: what's wrong with Broomhall? Ridiculously close to the uni, and the hospitals, and a pleasant walk to the Botanical Gardens, West Street and Eccy Road if you feel like a bit of a stretch.

This is all great, thank you guys! I'm also looking to stick within walking distance to a grocery store. I'll be mapping everything online to see where the best neighborhood may be. It's pretty complicated not being able to visit first ;p

Crookes, Broomhill and Walkley come recommended and though others may disagree I like Upperthorpe.

Two websites not directly linked to your question, but that will hopefully prove useful to a newcomer to the city-

http://www.eventsheffield.com (to get a sense of the events that take place here)

and http://www.sheffieldhelpyourself.org.uk (covering clubs, groups, societies etc)

Dan

Archived