What cyclists have to put up with..

No, im suggesting it increase road safety for cyclists!!!

Not like most would have you believe other road user's too, just cause more people cycle to work!!

If more people cycle to work then less are driving. Of course for the argument that it made overall safety increase cycling would have to be already as safe as driving and then get safer.

have a look at "safety in numbers"

http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=5225

and

http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Campaigns/CTC_Safety_in_Numbers.pdf

What is difficult to quantify is the average increase in life expectancy of someone who cycles regularly but I've seen 10-15 more years of active life quoted before. This is claimed to more than outweigh any risk factor involved.

have a look at "safety in numbers"

http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=5225

and

http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Campaigns/CTC_Safety_in_Numbers.pdf

What is difficult to quantify is the average increase in life expectancy of someone who cycles regularly but I've seen 10-15 more years of active life quoted before. This is claimed to more than outweigh any risk factor involved.

In life expectancy, i would expect it as i know most cyclist have to be fit or have the aim of getting fit, i see a lady everyday cycling up Glossop road towards Fulwood road, she has to be fit, id get to Hallamshire and stop for a sleep.

No, im suggesting it increase road safety for cyclists!!!

Not like most would have you believe other road user's too, just cause more people cycle to work!!

But its all inter-related. Its precisely because more people cycle to work that there may/would/could/will (delete as appropriate depending on your faith!) be fewer road deaths all round. And to quote - from the bottom of page 3 of the PDF linked to twice in this thread (just under the graph)

"Increasing cycle use is good for the safety of other road users too. For every mile traveled, fewer injuries involve cyclists than motor vehicles. Every cycle trip that is a switch from car use means fewer injuries and deaths to others."

if cyclist were banned from using roads we'd all get to work quicker and be able to turn our engines off sooner saving the environment - yay

Yeah we've thought about having a "leave your bike at home drive to work instead" day. Most of us cyclists happen to be motorists as well.

So join the queue, the car in front used to be a cyclist. Now the queue is one car longer.

Happy now?

But its all inter-related. Its precisely because more people cycle to work that there may/would/could/will (delete as appropriate depending on your faith!) be fewer road deaths all round. And to quote - from the bottom of page 3 of the PDF linked to twice in this thread (just under the graph)

"Increasing cycle use is good for the safety of other road users too. For every mile traveled, fewer injuries involve cyclists than motor vehicles. Every cycle trip that is a switch from car use means fewer injuries and deaths to others."

I cycle and drive, and based on my own experience I find that hard to believe.

It might be true though if you are considering every possible car journey, many of which couldn't be cycled, but comparing like for like, it's certainly faster to get into town on a bike, but nobody ever tried to kill me when I make the same journey in my car.

if cyclist were banned from using roads we'd all get to work quicker and be able to turn our engines off sooner saving the environment - yay

No you wouldn't. You'd still have to sit in the (now slightly longer) traffic jam breathing in your fumes.

I doubt that you've ever been delayed by a bike over the full length of your journey. A couple of seconds at on point, which you make up as soon as you've caught the queue or the traffic lights up. :loopy:

No you wouldn't. You'd still have to sit in the (now slightly longer) traffic jam breathing in your fumes.

I doubt that you've ever been delayed by a bike over the full length of your journey. A couple of seconds at on point, which you make up as soon as you've caught the queue or the traffic lights up. :loopy:

Quite.

On the few occasions I travel to the city centre by car in "rush hour" (oxymoron if ever I heard one), I've been quite envious of the folks going past me on their bikes, wishing I was on mine...

I don't see how a cyclist overtaking me because I'm sat in a traffic jam behind a car/bus/lorry/van/whatever could be "holding up" a driver. Yep, a driver may have to wait for a few second for a bike to clear a pinch point, or for a suitable opportunity to safely overtake a bike when traffic is free flowing but that's life.

Incidentally, the CTC (Cyclists Touring Club) has existed since 1878.

How long have the AA/RAC been around? :D

Who was there first? :D

Have a look at previous cycling threads and learn...

Archived