What cyclists have to put up with..

well, pay some road tax, and you might have a say. other than that thay deserve everything thay get. if you want two wheels put an engine in it!

Road tax doesn't exist.

Try to educate yourself on the subject, then rejoin the conversation.

I hope it's not true that all cyclist have no sense of humour.

No, actually, I'm pretty sure it's not. Because I laughed at that post which you somehow tried to take seriously.

I didn't take it seriously. You took my post seriously. I've added an emoticon so its clear. See above.

They were, unless they're psychic, one of them cycled straight out of meadow street and across the A61 as the traffic was flowing up it. It looked stupid and dangerous, and also completely unnecessary. I cycled that route every day for 6 months and filtering to the front of the queue and then stopping is no hardship.

I didn't take it seriously. You took my post seriously. I've added an emoticon so its clear. See above.

Your reply wasn't funny though. If it was meant as a jokey reply to a jokey suggestion, then it failed completely.

Cyclist kill on average half a person a year, car drivers kill 3000.

Where's the danger?

Figures from the London Accident Analysis Unit over the five-year period 2001-05, show that there were:

* 2 cyclists who died while jumping red lights:

* 7 motorbikers died jumping red lights (one of these collisions also killed a car driver);

* 3 cyclists were killed by drivers jumping red lights;

* 7 pedestrians were killed by drivers jumping red lights;

* 7 people (drivers or passengers) were killed in collisions between two motor vehicles (excluding motorbikes), at least one of which was jumping a red light.

So a cyclist is more likely to be killed by a car jumping red lights, than the cyclist is to kill someone.

A study by the City of London at the junction of Fleet Street and New Fetter Lane in 2005 recorded one in ten cyclists failing to comply with the Automatic Traffic Signal and about one in 30 riding round the Signal via the pavement (the cycle lanes here are as short as they are narrow).

Compare that to the high rate of unlicensed drivers (as many as 1 in 8 in London), speeding, parking contraventions etc. and if anything cyclists are more law abiding than drivers.

The difference is that driving while using a mobile phone, speeding, or hitting the accelerator just as the lights turn red (or indeed not paying for a ticket on a bendy bus) are not visible offences in the way that a cyclist jumping the lights is.

So other road users do not seem to challenge "law and order" even if their offences result in far more danger and death on the streets.

Unfortunately, you are assuming that ranting and willful ignorance can be countered by rational, fact based arguments.

well, pay some road tax, and you might have a say. other than that thay deserve everything thay get. if you want two wheels put an engine in it!

See, it doesn't work :(

Your reply wasn't funny though. If it was meant as a jokey reply to a jokey suggestion, then it failed completely.

I apologise for not being funny. I will not eat for three days as punishment.

Going back to the original video. It would have been interesting to see the rest of what he recorded on his journey into and out of the City - the bits that showed other road users letting him out, and giving him plenty of room etc etc...

Incidentaly, where do you get these helmet cams?

I had a cyclist this morning, after dropping my son off i was making my way home along the dual carrigeway at meadowhead, i went to turn off just before herdings park and a cyclist decided that would be a great spot to stop and have a quick drink out of his bottle, causing me to actually stop with the ar$e end of my car hanging out onto the dual carrageway until he shifted.....yeah what cyclists have to put up with!!!

Archived