What cyclists have to put up with..

I dont see cyclists as equals on the road, the reasons being, no insurance(in the majority of cases), no licensing, no MOT or similar, and no road tax, ved or what ever you want to call it (even if it would be a £0 cost).

Sort these issues then IMO cyclist can have a say regarding the roads, untill then they are not equal to other road users who have the above. Thats not to say I drive around trying to squish everyone of them, I just feel they are not an equal, like a 2nd class road user.

You should have your license taken away then.

Maybe it should be a question in the theory part of the driving test now, along with some topical questions about how to treat other road users. Clearly you'd fail.

You should have your license taken away then.

Maybe it should be a question in the theory part of the driving test now, along with some topical questions about how to treat other road users. Clearly you'd fail.

Passed with flying colours, sounds like I just hit a nerve with you, maybe you should chill out, all this anger will make you come a cropper on your bike.

You passed because there is no question about how to treat cyclists.

Hit a nerve, yeah I don't like people with attitudes like yours being allowed on the roads.

I drive, cycle and walk. I expect equal consideration on the road when doing any of those things and I give the same to everyone else.

As it happens I drive more than I cycle at the moment, but that doesn't alter my attitude.

Maybe you should try getting out of your car and getting some exercise by cycling somewhere, it might change your attitude.

Perhaps a tax on stupidity would find favour with cyclists?

It's regressive though, otherwise I'd be completely in favour.

Maybe a reduction in VED if you can prove that you cycle sometimes.

Or to satisfy the stupid VED could come with a statement that it automatically covers any road vehicles you own that are normally exempt from VED. Even the stupid would then have to stop wittering on about road tax and bikes.

I'm reasonably happy with my VED, if not the steep rate but that's because the tax man pays me 40p a mile to drive my gas guzzler yet I get a whopping 20p a mile to ride my bike.

Maybe your idea for a Stupid VED could have appropriate bands that the tax man could account for too? £435 for being really stupid and £0 for making perfect sense?

Or to satisfy the stupid VED could come with a statement that it automatically covers any road vehicles you own that are normally exempt from VED.

I would be fine with that but in guidence with the taxing laws, the vehicle would also need MOT and insurance.

If those guidline were foollowed I see no problem letting the road tax/VED cover all vehicles exempt from tax.

Insurance is a moot point that we can deal with later but what use is an MOT to a bicycle?

Or some equivilant saftey/road worthy test. I have before witnessed a bike run into the back of cars that have had to stop quick, this appeared to be due to ineffective brakes.

If bikes are on the roads they should be scrutinised just like cars are, and have set laws for braking efficency etc.

Thing is though it's a valid point is it not? I mean I could have a massive gas guzzler and not pay VED totally legally by only driving on private roads/tracks. That puts a hole in the argument that there isn't such a thing as "road tax" if you ask me.

The point of that argument is most drivers, rightly or wrongly, don't see cyclists as equals on the road as they don't pay for the privilege. I'm not saying the care and attention levels of your average driver to cyclists would increase if that changed but I'd definitely have far more time for the complaints of cyclists than I do at present.

Using the highway is a right (as in "right of way"), not a privilege. Using a motor vehicle on the highway, however, is a privilege, which is why you need a licence to do it.

Archived