What cyclists have to put up with..

On reviewing this it may be that the instructor's hand is on the wheel (taking avoiding action?) but it's hard to tell from the video. Either way it's another example of how poor driving standards (or even simple mistakes) are dangerous to cyclists. Just give them a bit of room, slow down, there's no rush.

Mate of mine just raised nearly £2000 quid for St Lukes Hospice cycling from Lands End to John O'Groats in 9 days.

Back safely last week he gets knocked off his bike cycling to work, car was completely at fault turned right across him.

No broken bones but he's in quite a lot of pain and struggling to walk. He made sure the driver called the police but they were less than bothered when they turned up.

As he says “I’m really not surprised that some cyclists get a bit 'militant'!"

Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm writing to complain about your feature on 20th May about the cyclist knocked from his bicycle. After showing the footage, your reporter moved straight to verbal diarrhoea from viewers, rather than any analysis or meaningful review of the video you showed. Perhaps your reporter thinks that someone being knocked from his bicycle by a careless driver doesn't merit any analysis?

I have a number of questions and suggestions I'd like answering:

1. When you report traffic incidents on the show, how often is this 'vox pop' format used?

2. How often are traffic accidents reported on the show? How many of these involve cyclists?

3. Is there any requirement on journalists to verify / counter statements used by viewers in the quotes read out? (For example, "cyclists don't pay road tax", "cyclists being given rights to complain about cars".)

4. Do you think your journalists should undertake any factual research into the comments being read out? (Would you for example, read out or display a statement like "all the immigrants in our town are illegal, and avoiding taxes" or "white men are more intelligent than black men"?)

5. Does the BBC have any requirement to fairly reflect different points of view when using this format? (Your journalist seems largely to have used quotes from people who either don't cycle, or have a very negative view of cycling.)

And some suggestions:

- Why not use the video to look at general road safety? Driving like that endangers pedestrians as well as cyclists.

- Why not use it to look at the legal situation - should the police have been called? is what happened breaking the law?

- You could look at how other countries / boroughs approach traffic safety.

- You could ask why someone was parked straight across a cycle lane.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours,

Tim Lennon.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm writing to complain about your feature on 20th May about the cyclist knocked from his bicycle. After showing the footage, your reporter moved straight to verbal diarrhoea from viewers, rather than any analysis or meaningful review of the video you showed. Perhaps your reporter thinks that someone being knocked from his bicycle by a careless driver doesn't merit any analysis?

I have a number of questions and suggestions I'd like answering:

1. When you report traffic incidents on the show, how often is this 'vox pop' format used?

2. How often are traffic accidents reported on the show? How many of these involve cyclists?

3. Is there any requirement on journalists to verify / counter statements used by viewers in the quotes read out? (For example, "cyclists don't pay road tax", "cyclists being given rights to complain about cars".)

4. Do you think your journalists should undertake any factual research into the comments being read out? (Would you for example, read out or display a statement like "all the immigrants in our town are illegal, and avoiding taxes" or "white men are more intelligent than black men"?)

5. Does the BBC have any requirement to fairly reflect different points of view when using this format? (Your journalist seems largely to have used quotes from people who either don't cycle, or have a very negative view of cycling.)

And some suggestions:

- Why not use the video to look at general road safety? Driving like that endangers pedestrians as well as cyclists.

- Why not use it to look at the legal situation - should the police have been called? is what happened breaking the law?

- You could look at how other countries / boroughs approach traffic safety.

- You could ask why someone was parked straight across a cycle lane.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours,

Tim Lennon.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

It's still crap journalism. Doesn't look like he was particularly contrite to me.

It would have had more meaning if he'd had the nerve to interview someone from CTC for example, who would have tied him up in knots...

Yesterday I was cycling from Sheffield to Rotherham along the riverside cycle paths.

I was waiting to cross the road near Meadowhall when a car came past and someone shouted an obcenety....no reason, they maybe just thought it made better use of the oxygen they were waisting.

I replied accordingly and the car slowed down....when it saw I wasn't in a hurry to evade, it scurried of round the corner!

Some cyclist fall off, get acres of gravel rash, dust em selves off and carry on home....no tears, no Elastoplast.

Riding a bike dosn't make you twee or weak....we are infact as diverse as the rest of the public, and just as likely to take exception to abuse and silly driving behavour, and just as likely to want to "press the point" should the lights change up the road.

I drive as well, and if you drive like an ass I'll tell you so, and when I'm on my bike I won't feel any less obliged to tell you so.

And if your a cyclist who runs red lights then i would allso tell you so.

And regards cyclists using cycle paths.....didn't you know they were for pedestrians with iPods(who think it's a red carpet) an dog walkers with those extending leads.

(in respect of pedestrians with ipods, I am of course reffering to cycle paths which run along side a pedestrian walkway.....lest folk may think we own the pavement as well as the roads!)

Archived