What cyclists have to put up with..

Too late. I spent the tenner. Jumped on the pushbike, peddled half a mile, locked it by the cafe door, spent your tenner on my lunch and peddled back again. :D

I'm amazed you managed it, what, with all the dangers that await cyclists around every corner and whatever else "cyclists have to put up with..".

Yes they do (especially on narrow roads or up narrow hills - many in Sheffield).

For a few seconds, which you immediately regain as you have to wait for slightly less time at the next set of red lights or queue of cars that you reach.

Your time?

No, see above.

Not everyone who doesn't cycle is an obese slob.

Did anyone claim that they were?

I gave up push bikes when I was 17.

Good for you, is this relevant?

Out of all the modes of transport available to us (discounting the car), I would rather walk than use a bicycle (or bus).

Your choice, whatever works for you.

And the safer cycling is perceived to be, the easier people can be conned to cycle.

What's the con involved then?

It's still wrong then pirate face isn't it. :roll:

You still don't seem to know what "most" means, do you?

Please tell me what part of the phrase "Most cycle journeys in Sheffield can be done on designated cycle paths without coming into contact with heavy traffic" is incorrect, Windyboy.

I can't think of any of my bike journeys that I can do "on designated cycle paths without coming into contact with heavy traffic".

Try again or tell us about one.

City centre to Meadowhall via the Five Weirs path?

Or maybe one of the hundreds of routes listed on this site?

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/cycling-and-walking-and-prow/cycling/sheffield-cycle-map

Of course you don't have to use the cycle path, you can take the risk by cycling in heavy traffic but at the end of the day that's your choice.

How do I get to the city centre and why would I want to go to Meadowhall? I'd rather go from home to work most days.

Incidentally, you have to get off and push on the tow path as well as avoiding dogs, geese, children, muggers and fishers. The roads are much safer, especially at night.

Archived