What cyclists have to put up with..

How do I get to the city centre and why would I want to go to Meadowhall?

I'd rather go from home to work most days.

That depends on where you live. You sound like an intelligent bloke, it can't be that difficult to work out a route that avoids main roads.

Well I live at Fulwood and go to West Street. it's 4 miles downhill going in (13 minutes) and 4 miles uphill going back (25 minutes)

Can you find me a route using "designated cycle paths without coming into contact with heavy traffic" that is no more than 5 miles?

I promise that I will try it and report back.

How do I get to the city centre and why would I want to go to Meadowhall? I'd rather go from home to work most days.

Incidentally, you have to get off and push on the tow path as well as avoiding dogs, geese, children, muggers and fishers. The roads are much safer, especially at night.

Which makes your thread title incorrect. It should be entitled "What cyclists choose to put up with.." as you have the option of using an off road cycle route but choose not to because of the perceived drawbacks.

Well I live at Fulwood and go to West Street. it's 4 miles downhill going in (13 minutes) and 4 miles uphill going back (25 minutes)

Can you find me a route using "designated cycle paths without coming into contact with heavy traffic" that is no more than 5 miles?

I promise that I will try it and report back.

Drop down to Forge Dam then take the path through the woods and parks as far as Hunters Bar. Then either continue along Ecclesall Road using the bus lanes or go up Brocco Bank then along the designated cycle lanes on Clarkhouse and Glossop Road

And before you try to be smart and say that cycle or bus lanes involve coming into contact with heavy traffic, can I just point out that private cars can't use bus or cycle lanes? ;)

Doesn't work. Ecclesall Road is only part time and I have to share with buses and taxis, and Clarkehouse Road is a car park and only a partial cycle lane when it isn't.

Another route please.

Doesn't work. Ecclesall Road is only part time and I have to share with buses and taxis, and Clarkehouse Road is a car park and only a partial cycle lane when it isn't.

Another route please.

If you're scared of buses and taxis you could always turn left off Ecclesall Road up Collegiate Crescent, Then along Broomhall Road and across the ring road using the dedicated cycle crossing. There's still a short section of Ecclesall Road to negotiate but you could always get off and walk along the pavement for that section. I'm sure your safety is more important to you than getting to work a couple of minutes early.

Is there anything else you want help with - shall I tell you what to have for your tea tonight? :hihi:

Drop down to Forge Dam then take the path through the woods and parks as far as Hunters Bar. Then either continue along Ecclesall Road using the bus lanes or go up Brocco Bank then along the designated cycle lanes on Clarkhouse and Glossop Road

And before you try to be smart and say that cycle or bus lanes involve coming into contact with heavy traffic, can I just point out that private cars can't use bus or cycle lanes? ;)

They can and do. They're not supposed to, but they do.

If you're scared of buses and taxis you could always turn left off Ecclesall Road up Collegiate Crescent, Then along Broomhall Road and across the ring road using the dedicated cycle crossing. There's still a short section of Ecclesall Road to negotiate but you could always get off and walk along the pavement for that section. I'm sure your safety is more important to you than getting to work a couple of minutes early.

Is there anything else you want help with - shall I tell you what to have for your tea tonight? :hihi:

I'm not scared of them at all, that's why I use roads instead of cycle lanes.

You're supposed to be finding me a route using "designated cycle paths without coming into contact with heavy traffic" from Fulwood to West Street to prove your point and I'll still have to get from Bingham Park to Collegiate Crescent before I can turn off. That's about a mile and a half if I have to walk it.

Ah, another little problem for you to ponder too. I forgot to mention that bikes aren't allowed in Endcliffe Park so you need to find me an alternative once I'm out of Bingham Park.

So far, your cycle path route has me using busy roads and Shank's pony more than cycle lanes ;)

I'm not scared of them at all, that's why I use roads instead of cycle lanes.

You're supposed to be finding me a route using "designated cycle paths without coming into contact with heavy traffic" from Fulwood to West Street to prove your point and I'll still have to get from Bingham Park to Collegiate Crescent before I can turn off. That's about a mile and a half if I have to walk it.

Ah, another little problem for you to ponder too. I forgot to mention that bikes aren't allowed in Endcliffe Park so you need to find me an alternative once I'm out of Bingham Park.

So far, your cycle path route has me using busy roads and Shank's pony more than cycle lanes ;)

If you don't want that nasty park keeper to catch you cycling in Endcliffe Park you could always go up Riverdale Road then down Endcliffe Vale and onto Clarkhouse Road. A couple of minutes walking or braving the cycle lane and you're at the top of Collegiate and back on my 2nd suggested route.

Have lasagne for tea tonight.

Archived