What cyclists have to put up with..

City centre to Meadowhall via the Five Weirs path?

Or maybe one of the hundreds of routes listed on this site?

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/cycling-and-walking-and-prow/cycling/sheffield-cycle-map

Of course you don't have to use the cycle path, you can take the risk by cycling in heavy traffic but at the end of the day that's your choice.

Re my bold.

From memory, I recall having to cross several roads. I reckon that is more dangerous than riding along the main roads. I've done the journey (in the opposite direction only) a few times (but not recently), and preferred the Carlisle Street route over the alternatives of Saville St or Attercliffe Rd, or the two off road routes.

What do cyclists have to put up with? Well, today I almost was knocked off my bike twice by motorists who weren't paying attention to their surrounds. I love cycling, it gives me a proper buzz.... not knowing what's going to happen next :loopy:

Oh, and before someone has a go... I also drive so I can appreciate the argument from both sides.

Drop down to Forge Dam then take the path through the woods and parks as far as Hunters Bar. Then either continue along Ecclesall Road using the bus lanes or go up Brocco Bank then along the designated cycle lanes on Clarkhouse and Glossop Road

And before you try to be smart and say that cycle or bus lanes involve coming into contact with heavy traffic, can I just point out that private cars can't use bus or cycle lanes? ;)

I used some of your suggested route, last year, when trying to get from Nether Green Rd to Corporation Street, and tried to make use of the Cycle Route Map - I was pretty useless.

In particular -

Clarkehouse Road - Cars allowed to park over the cycle lanes for most of the day (I think) they were certainly being parked over at the times I passed. The cycle lanes are too narrow. The car lanes are also narrow, so cars tend to drive into the cycle lanes. Certainly, if I was starting out on Fulwood Rd, and heading towards Brook Hill, I'd stay on Fulwood Rd in preference to Clarkehouse Rd.

Hounsfield Rd / Leavygreave Rd / Portobello St - convoluted route that doesn't lead anywhere - I actually got caught out by the infamous dead end as the road approaches Upper Hanover St, where the cycle path sends you straight into a barrier. The photo of this is regularly shown on these types of thread - I think it is earlier in this thread also, but I can't be bothered to look. The next time I just carried on Glossop Rd and turned left onto Upper Hanover St, then right at the roundabout onto Brook Hill. Mixing it with traffic, but much more practical.

We need to normalise cycling and make it just an everyday, sensible, health-promoting thing. Stop this departmentalising of cyclists as "others". Make it normal. In Amsterdam you don't see lycra, cycling isn't a political movement or for fanatics, it's just a jolly pleasant way to get about cities.

Berlin's the same, the courtesy you get from drivers is astonishing!

People in smart city clothes, suits and smart dresses, just cycling.

No hassle.

No helmets.

No conflict.

This picture is WRONG because it suggests you have to be in perfect physical shape to cycle:

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m3/jun2007/1/8/52B92EDE-95A7-9C43-E42ADD80EE82AAB4.jpg

but the big cycling event that picture promotes was a great success, thousands of people dug bikes out of the shed, pumped the tyres, oiled the chain, checked the brakes and went for a ride.

Quality.

Get on a bike in this glorious weather, cyclists who do ten miles a day have fitness levels of someone ten years younger, unless the cyclist is ten to start with.

Plus, if you ride a bike regularly it really keeps your weight down and you can drink as much beer as you like!*

*I have no medical knowledge.

Perplexed, I think you're swimming against the tide with Tshombe. Either (s)he's simply a troll practicing some organ grinding, or is genuinley boneheaded, in which case you should pity him/her and save your typing fingers for something worthwhile :D

I think quite possibly both.

We need to normalise cycling and make it just an everyday, sensible, health-promoting thing. Stop this departmentalising of cyclists as "others". Make it normal. In Amsterdam you don't see lycra, cycling isn't a political movement or for fanatics, it's just a jolly pleasant way to get about cities.

Berlin's the same, the courtesy you get from drivers is astonishing!

People in smart city clothes, suits and smart dresses, just cycling.

No hassle.

No helmets.

No conflict.

This picture is WRONG because it suggests you have to be in perfect physical shape to cycle:

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m3/jun2007/1/8/52B92EDE-95A7-9C43-E42ADD80EE82AAB4.jpg

but the big cycling event that picture promotes was a great success, thousands of people dug bikes out of the shed, pumped the tyres, oiled the chain, checked the brakes and went for a ride.

Quality.

Get on a bike in this glorious weather, cyclists who do ten miles a day have fitness levels of someone ten years younger, unless the cyclist is ten to start with.

Plus, if you ride a bike regularly it really keeps your weight down and you can drink as much beer as you like!*

*I have no medical knowledge.

No, you're quite right. I read it in the Lancet ;)

Which makes your thread title incorrect. It should be entitled "What cyclists choose to put up with.." as you have the option of using an off road cycle route but choose not to because of the perceived drawbacks.

And you CHOOSE to put up with chavs in the peak district instead of doing your bit and staying at home and not looking at it or complaining about it rather than polluting the area that you claim to love by driving there.

But of course, I wouldn't want to take away your right to hypocrisy.

Find me a cycle lane suitable for a road bike that takes me to Surprise View

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m3/jun2007/1/8/52B92EDE-95A7-9C43-E42ADD80EE82AAB4.jpg.

On the contrary, the picture is right. Because one day you may be happily pootling along and then be overtaken by the cyclist in the photo. Which is then great incentinve to try keep up and the benefits are more than just standard drafting...

Even better, considering she is riding a clunky and heavy mountain-style BSO, keeping up and enjoying the scenery will be even easier

Which spade are you using today?

Another refusal to answer a very, very easy question. Therefore, to make sure I've got my bases covered, I'll have to put you down as lazy and dim, to make sure I've got it correct! :cool:

Perplexed, I think you're swimming against the tide with Tshombe. Either (s)he's simply a troll practicing some organ grinding, or is genuinley boneheaded, in which case you should pity him/her and save your typing fingers for something worthwhile :D

Quite right. I might nip off soon and have a quick chat with a friendly shrub, I'll sure get more intellegent resposnses back! :D

I think quite possibly both.

I'm with you there. :)

Archived