What cyclists have to put up with..

GB, as lesson #3 of your re-education, and when you've had a smirk at those barmy cycle paths take a look at these images of bikes and cyclists under lorries.

She will never walk again http://i.thisis.co.uk/274156/binaries/Cyclist%20crushed%20on%20Cotham%20Hill,%20Bristol.jpg

She is dead http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CFaWFwKkBYM/Skp_DTFGk8I/AAAAAAAAFpw/mEEVEmfzyKA/s400/a-female-cyclist-died-after-being-hit-by-a-lorry-in-south-london_0.jpg

She is dying http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/04/09/article-1168705-045EDB94000005DC-833_468x474.jpg

All women in their 30's.

Just a little more space and patience would be just luverly. Thanks. :)

Fair points but I'm not sure what you're accusing me of as I have never knocked a cyclist off his or her bike. All the accidents above are tragic but I'm sure none of the lorries concerned deliberately caused the accidents. I'm sure there are many accidents involving cycles where the cyclist is the one at fault.

What we all agree on is that all road users should treat each other with respect and cyclists have a responsibility too, to not cycle in a way that puts other road users at risk

On that note I think this thread has run its course and can be closed, thanks mods.

I wouldn't accuse you, I hope you didn't think that I was.

The images are tragic and of course the drivers didn't do it deliberately. There is a bit of an issue at the moment with women getting themselves underneath lorries. Nobody is quite sure why but there have been about a dozen just in London last year compared to only 3 men. The best theory I've heard is that women dawdle in the gutter rather than getting to the front where the driver can see them.

I wouldn't accuse you, I hope you didn't think that I was.

The images are tragic and of course the drivers didn't do it deliberately. There is a bit of an issue at the moment with women getting themselves underneath lorries. Nobody is quite sure why but there have been about a dozen just in London last year compared to only 3 men. The best theory I've heard is that women dawdle in the gutter rather than getting to the front where the driver can see them.

I heard the theory that because more men jump red lights they are less likely to be squished by lorries. Now there's one to spark more argument!

I heard the theory that because more men jump red lights they are less likely to be squished by lorries. Now there's one to spark more argument!

Who did you hear that from - Jeremy Clarkson?

The current theory is that men are more likely to be assertive about filtering though to the front of traffic where as women tend to get caught whilst trying to pass a stationary lorry that turns left when the lights change.

The current theory is that men are more likely to be assertive about filtering though to the front of traffic where as women tend to get caught whilst trying to pass a stationary lorry that turns left when the lights change.

... and the barriers placed at junctions to stop jay-walking leave them with nowhere to go.

Edit. The barriers are added as a safety feature to protect some road users, at the expense of others.

From the CTC newsletter No. 51, 2007

"Women and Lorries in London

Goods vehicles were involved in 18 of the 21 collisions

in which a woman cyclist was killed in the capital

between 1999 and 2004, according to an internal TfL

report leaked to The Times. For male cyclists, the

proportion (31 out of 66 fatalities) was much lower. The

report's author speculated, without any evidence, that

the difference might be because women were more

likely to obey red lights, placing themselves at greater

risk. We suspect that a more likely explanation is that

women cyclists may be less confident about occupying

the middle of a lane at junctions (in accordance with

recommended best practice), preferring to hug the

kerb instead. Whatever the reason, we'd like TfL to

share the data so that road safety and cycling

organisations can discuss how to address this very

serious issue."

You're right, but I knew I'd read that theory somewhere!

Not reported to the police, but if the idiot ever does a Google search on his reg that link will come up...

Hey that's my car reg!!!!.But I don't get it :huh:I googled it that link came up but ........what's ment to happen?

Archived