What cyclists have to put up with..

I've been commuting to work by bike daily in Leeds and Sheffield now for over 10 years and had very little problem from other drivers. I think if drivers can clearly see you and have a good idea what you're going to do, then whether they like it or not, they are unlikely to make life hard for you. You just need to be assertive on the road, take up position where you feel is right, not where they think is right, and don't ride in the gutter. Simples.

Having said that, I am tempted to paint "No I don't pay bloody road tax" on the back of my hi-viz vest.

Or just get yourself one of these!

what gets on my nerves is the cyclists that dont have lights on there bikes at night and also the ones that shoot down hills well over the speed limit and think there ok to do it just cause there on a bike also the ones that ride near centre line blocking traffic to over take them when they could eaisly just move over to side also think they should have to pay some sort of insurance

Hmmm yeah I agree about lights, any cyclist without them at night is asking to get hit. As for speeds, I reckon I occasionally get up to 30-35mph if it's safe to do so, on one or two hills, but you can't go down a long hill on a bike with your brakes on all the way. You just can't, or you'd be replacing brake pads every week.

And as for being in the middle of the lane - sometimes it's safest for the cyclist, and that has to be the most important thing. There's one place on my way home (Heeley bottom) where I have to cycle through a narrow 'gate' between the kerb and an island. If I stay to the left, cars will race through to my right, which is a squeeze, and I had two 'brushes' before I decided to ride in the middle of the lane, blocking any traffic from overtaking. It's only 20-30 yards though so no big deal I don't think.

Only other time I might do that is where there's traffic parked along my side of the road; I ride a car door's width away from the parked cars, for obvious reasons.

Mr best mate got knocked off his bike (cycle) nearly 2 week ago when a van driver came too fast round a corner and across onto the wrong side of the road. My mate swerved to miss the van heading toward him and ended up going into a parked car. He was in hospital for over a week with 2 broken vertebrae at the bottom of his spine. He will now need and operation to plate them to make them safe. He is now unable to work until all this has been done and has had to retire from playing rugby - a sport that he lives for).......oh and twit (a) of a van driver drove off laughing and left him their.

He is hoping that once he is better that he will return to the spot and hope that the van goes back their again coz he says he will recognise him and trust me the van driver will wish he had never been born.

And before people start on with oh cyclist they do this and they do that - let me just say that he aint stupid and doesn't take risk. Luckily he wears all the protective gear too as he smashed his head on the parked car - this could have been a different story all together if he hadn't

Hmmm yeah I agree about lights, any cyclist without them at night is asking to get hit. As for speeds, I reckon I occasionally get up to 30-35mph if it's safe to do so, on one or two hills, but you can't go down a long hill on a bike with your brakes on all the way. You just can't, or you'd be replacing brake pads every week.

And as for being in the middle of the lane - sometimes it's safest for the cyclist, and that has to be the most important thing. There's one place on my way home (Heeley bottom) where I have to cycle through a narrow 'gate' between the kerb and an island. If I stay to the left, cars will race through to my right, which is a squeeze, and I had two 'brushes' before I decided to ride in the middle of the lane, blocking any traffic from overtaking. It's only 20-30 yards though so no big deal I don't think.

Only other time I might do that is where there's traffic parked along my side of the road; I ride a car door's width away from the parked cars, for obvious reasons.

someone with common sense :D

This morning going over uni roundabout a man in a van who had to stop to allow me to cross the roundabout (i.e. giving way to the right as you do when approaching a roundabout), started giving me the usual offensive gestures. I gave him the finger as is most appropriate in those circumstances.

I can relate to that, I had a similar thing on the south Tinsley viaduct roundabout.

A cement wagon thought my traveling at the same speed as the rest of the traffic instead of allowing him to over take (on the roundabout) and then peel off was reason to verbalise!

I checked out the green/White livery but couldn't come up with the company name, I would have liked to have given this driver the chance to elaborate!

what gets on my nerves is the cyclists that dont have lights on there bikes at night and also the ones that shoot down hills well over the speed limit and think there ok to do it just cause there on a bike also the ones that ride near centre line blocking traffic to over take them when they could eaisly just move over to side also think they should have to pay some sort of insurance

Lights, yes.

Speed, it's unlikely to be honest. On a decent hill, free wheeling (beyond the speed I can pedal), I might, if I were very lucky, reach 30 mph.

Road position. In the centre is correct, it forces you to only overtake when it's actually safe. It gives me room to avoid you if you overtake when you shouldn't. It gives me room to avoid potholes and debris.

I tend to ride 2 to 3 feet from the kerb generally, except through the narrow tram stops where I move right to the centre to avoid being squeezed like YS said.

Since ive been learning to drive ive noticed one thing. Some cyclists are careful, considerate road users. Most though are pigignorant, rude, aggressive and dangerous road users.

I've been driving for almost 20 years and have only had ONE bad experience with a cyclist. My guess is that you're either very unlucky, very prejudiced, or a lying.

Archived