What cyclists have to put up with..

Many cyclists do have insurance, although it is obviously not compulsory. It's common sense really, because many people don't realise the value of some bikes out there, road bikes in particular .

Yep, you can get a road bike for £200. But many folks would be shocked to know that a high end road bike can cost upwards of £5,000.00. Yes that is 5 thousand pounds.

I think we're more talking about third party insurance here.

Public Liability Insurance.

Cycleguard do it for £27 a year.

Its should be made compulsory to have, just like insurance for any other motor vehicle user, if you havent got it you should be seen just like if you had no insurance on your Car.

But to compare a cap wearing idiot chav rushing around on a mountain bike to a sensible commuter or road cycling club member is meaningless.

Ive seen some sensible commuter's on there bikes, ive also seen some stupid ones, my point is wether Cap wearing chav or sensible commuter, they should have insurance, if they hit my car with there bike and caused any damage i would expect to have my insurance company be able to contact theres, in the same way it would be if a car had hit me.

Cyclist's should have compulsory insurance, just like the mobility scooters that use the road should too :rant:

Its should be made compulsory to have, just like insurance for any other motor vehicle user, if you havent got it you should be seen just like if you had no insurance on your Car.

I agree. I've had the side of my car scraped by a cyclist with just a "sorry mate" in the past.

He wouldn't give me his details and just sped off up the pavement preventing me from getting him and wringing his neck or punching him in the face until his wallet fell from his pocket!

I'm in the boat owning fraternity and again insurance is optional, but none of my colleagues or I would ever think of not having it.

Public Liability Insurance.

Cycleguard do it for £27 a year.

I have this. Cycleguard are great.

Just to save me pointlessly reading back through this thread: I assume the old trolls have been on about the mythical "road tax" already?

I think we're more talking about third party insurance here.

Yes, quite right, I was just talking about insurance generally.

Ive seen some sensible commuter's on there bikes, ive also seen some stupid ones, my point is wether Cap wearing chav or sensible commuter, they should have insurance, if they hit my car with there bike and caused any damage i would expect to have my insurance company be able to contact theres, in the same way it would be if a car had hit me.

Cyclist's should have compulsory insurance, just like the mobility scooters that use the road should too :rant:

Like I say, there are arguments both ways. The reality is that it is not required, but if you feel this should change then you could lobby your MP. I don't think it'll get you anywhere, they're trying to get people out of cars as it is. People tend to complain that we're over "nannied" in the UK. Except when they want a piece of legislation which suits them. I'm not aiming that at you, but I suspect it to be true of many.

I have this. Cycleguard are great.

Just to save me pointlessly reading back through this thread: I assume the old trolls have been on about the mythical "road tax" already?

We've got some new ones to play with! :D (Interestingly, many of the old suspects who used to bang on about the mythical "road tax" haven't showed up. Tired of looking foolish I guess! :o)

How much should kids on the pavement with Barbie stabilisers should pay for their insurance?

Four Smarties with an excess of two Maltesers...

But it does come with a free crayon to fill out the claim form. :D

Interesting thread.

I don't think cyclists should pay any additional tax to use the road.

I *do* think that cyclists should have compulsory third party insurance, and some form of registration scheme.

I personally loathe the rubbish cyclists I see every day on the way to work (but applaud the decent ones). Unfortunately on the way in to work every morning I *very* rarely see a cyclist who doesnt do one of the following:

Jump a light

Hop onto the pavement to avoid a light, then hop back down once clear

Ride two abreast

Cycle on the pavement

I posted previously how when waiting for my missus outside a hairdressers near matalan on chesterfield road in the morning i saw 10 out of 13 cyclists jump the reds there; that's not a minority...

I love threads like this - there is no logical conclusion :)

Archived