Tea tree - is it OK for eczema?

Hi, I've always used E45 wash cream for my eczema but a friend of mine swears by tea tree and got me some tea tree shower gel to use. I thought it would irritate me and be too strong but it is quite soothing and hasn't as yet irritated me.

I went in the Body Shop today to ask about their tea tree face wash, my friend uses the shower gel on his face aswell (its original source) but I like something seperate on my face. The assistant in the Body Shop said that the tea tree face wash would be too harsh on my skin so I didn't get any, not even a sample. I told her I can use tea tree on my body but she said its different on your face and recommended the aloe vera face wash instead.

Does anyone else use tea tree on sensitive skin?

Tea Tree is great for lots of skin irritations... buying it neat (essential oil) and putting one to three drops on a saucer, with a little bit of water, and massaging it onto effected areas...

Tea tree's major actions are as antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, both of which actions may be helpful for eczema.

HOWEVER, neat tea tree on broken skin stings like you wouldn't believe (not as bad as Olbas Oil, but not far off) and if you have an intolerance to it then whether you use it in a face wash or a solution is likely to be too harsh for your skin.

I'm not able to use tea tree at all because it makes my skin more inflamed, rather than less.

If you are able to use tea tree oil then I'd suggest buying the essential oil, which is really very inexpensive, and putting a few drops in a carrier oil like sweet almond oil. You should then be able to use a few drops of that on some cotton wool to dab on the sore bits of skin after cleansing, or even put a couple of drops in your cleanser and mix carefully.

SBC have a range of water based skin care [available from QVC or their own web site] which I can highly recommend.

Liz Earle skin care and bodywash are also great problem solvers - again I've used these with great success for a clearer and less problematic skin.

Don't use Tea Tree oil neat - it burns. Choose a body/face wash with tea tree as one of the ingredients.

y boss has her own salon and swears by tea tree for treating eczema. I often get it on my face, and although using some prescribed cream, tea tree is extremely good. It does irritate a little at first but after a couple of days use, I found that it was wonderful!

Hi, thanks for your replies. I don't use tea tree neat, only in a shower gel and I find it really soothing, not too sure about the face wash though, the Body Shop one did say for blemished and oily skin, might get the aloe vera for my face.

Archived