Tesco money off voucher + club card question.

A while back i ordered something from Tesco online, when my item was delivered, I also recieved a £3.50 money off voucher. { Id never shopped at tesco before and dont have a club card} and it didnt say anything about signing up for one.

when i tried to use it today in my local tesco, the lady said it wouldnt go through the till without a club card so i couldnt use it...I asked why would they send it me knowing i dont have a club card, to which she replied, they will have sent a temporary club card with the voucher [which they didnt] when i told her this she didnt believe me and said i must have lost it, she wouldnt even attempt to put the voucher through the till when i asked if she would just try. :|

now on the voucher it doesnt say anything about this, it has my name and a code on it thats about it. it doesnt say anything about club cards on it.

so does anyone know, could i have used it?...

thanks

You probably cannot use it without a legitimate clubcard, temporary or otherwise.

If you didn't simply mislay it when opening the parcel, then they either forgot to include a temporary clubcard, or mistakenly believed you already had one.

It's quite common for people without clubcards to try to use such vouchers by pretending that Tesco forgot to include the temporary card; probably far more common than it is for Tesco to actually forget. Knowing that, I'm not surprised that the cashier viewed you with cynicism; you're one of the unfortunate few that gets mistakenly lumped in with the majority of tryers-on.

I joined tesco.com for my grocery shopping, they never sent me a card, but I was receiving points. About a year later I decided to sort out the club card and now have one, but I think they just don't bother sending them out until asked to.

Archived