Religious extremists hate/fear of modern science

All you've stated in your above post would, possibly, have been more believable if you hadn't stated "hate the West" in your thread title and original post. This clearly implies that the religious extremists to which you refer are in the East. You meant Musilims.
I have notices the problem with what I put and I guess that I probably was thinking as Muslims foremost and as the modern scientific advances and space exploration has bee driven by the west and participially by our capitalist culture. I stand by what I put though with the words hate the west, but I do not draw on any religious beliefs of the west and assure you that I talk of the scientific strives and leaps we have made and the capitalism that has driven it. I mean hate from the point of view as it being seen as anti religious in its nature.

Have you considered that religious extremists seem to hate everyone who doesn't share their own extremism, even those of their own religion?

Yes but that's not what my question is about, I know religions have always had a bad time getting on, its obvious there would be confliction when it comes to beliefs hence me starting this topic (albeit drunk) to see if the confliction extends to scientific advancement (driven by the west). If it was a point of contention then unlike the beliefs of religion, and especially old ones, it is harder to find any safe middle ground. I mean all religions believe in some sort of celestial being, and that they were created by such a being, but this could not cross over into science and if science was to give people a different conflicting view of the universe then could this not cause problems for regions that no other way of life ever did previously. Given that a modern western life style that is so dependant on science and knowledge it could be one of the big issues that separate us and I was just curious like we should all be if we want to stem conflicts both now and in the future.

In line with the thread, does any one know or aware of how religion has effectively suppressed science.

How many books have been published in the islamic world since 1500 for instance as against how many books were published in those areas of the world before the muslims took over.

Yes but that's not what my question is about, I know religions have always had a bad time getting on, its obvious there would be confliction when it comes to beliefs hence me starting this topic (albeit drunk) to see if the confliction extends to scientific advancement (driven by the west). If it was a point of contention then unlike the beliefs of religion, and especially old ones, it is harder to find any safe middle ground. I mean all religions believe in some sort of celestial being, and that they were created by such a being, but this could not cross over into science and if science was to give people a different conflicting view of the universe then could this not cause problems for regions that no other way of life ever did previously. Given that a modern western life style that is so dependant on science and knowledge it could be one of the big issues that separate us and I was just curious like we should all be if we want to stem conflicts both now and in the future.

Do you really believe that there is a difference between a scientist telling the extremists that their faith is wrong, and a cleric from another religion telling the extremists that their faith is wrong?

I would also put it to you that Muslims hate the Chinese government as much as they do the West.

As you see both sides of the coin as you yourself are now western and share the benefits of modern science, while still tied to a religion from the middle ages, how do you see it all and do you not see any conflict from the religious teachings and values from an old way of life and the (dare I say it) western-modern scientific culture around today ?

You are aware that 'modern science' was conceived in the East, h2m?

All you've stated in your above post would, possibly, have been more believable if you hadn't stated "hate the West" in your thread title and original post. This clearly implies that the religious extremists to which you refer are in the East. You meant Musilims.

can someone educate jacksrake on how many points of the compass exist :loopy:

If that was meant to be a put down of hard2miss's excellent post then you are deluded my fellow poster.. Brain into gear, personal feelings left aside then fingers on keyboards fella.

just a hint of where "the clever people" come from http://www.federationofscientists.org/WfsWorldMap.asp

Archived