Religious extremists hate/fear of modern science

My answer to your qestion is simply that there is no way any religion can stop or even has tried to stop progress of science and your impression of that being the case is wrong. It's all political I tell ya!!!;)

What utter nonsense. Exhibit A gallileo

Exhibit B cloning

Exhibit C stem cells

Smoking gun - the intelligent design movement. What is this if not one big attempt to suppress the scientific theory of evolution?

Of course many religious people try to suppress science. It took me 20 seconds to think of 4 obvious examples.

As science progresses or man's foothold on the world digresses are we going to find that religious groups cannot adjust and find the world in ever growing unrest and conflict ?

The problem I see is that science has no mandate to 'get on with folk' so it will just go on oblivious to the heckling of the religious orders of the world. Religions will have to accept and conform to scientific findings and that's something that they are not used to doing easily. The saying 'set in stone' comes to mind when I think of religion and how its passed on to each generation, change does not go down well, while science is an ever evolving entity (someone give me a better word please) that has the backing of the human desire to find answers. Religion is about all the answers it things you need.

science is an ever evolving entity (someone give me a better word please) that has the backing of the human desire to find answers.

evolve is perfectly apt for that use, it can be applied quite well to organisations, methods, or designs as well as species.

evolve is perfectly apt for that use, it can be applied quite well to organisations, methods, or designs as well as species.

Cheers, I sometimes find it hard to express what I actually mean and when I do put it down it does not look right or read right to me :D

I was one of the generation that discovered glue sniffing and my grey matter is full of holes I fear :confused:

can someone educate jacksrake on how many points of the compass exist :loopy:

If that was meant to be a put down of hard2miss's excellent post then you are deluded my fellow poster.. Brain into gear, personal feelings left aside then fingers on keyboards fella.

just a hint of where "the clever people" come from http://www.federationofscientists.org/WfsWorldMap.asp

Thanks for making me smile, Youfo.

Try and stay away from the 'what utter nonesense' type of complements from your snooty standpoint and educate us all of the 'principle of first cause' Jimmy. We can all then judge what sense you actually make from your own words and understanding rather than just coppying others.

I don't know of any religious extremists suppressing science and if you do then you are keeping interesting company indeed. If however you are imagining the scenario of this is what you think they must be doing then that isn't in itself enough to let you sit on that high horse kido. My reply to H2M was to clarify that the differences that have so far lead to conflict in the Middle East and the Media hysteria against Islam isn't due to any religion suppressing sciences, but due to politics and injuctices committed upon one another by the key players in the conflict.

Try and stay away from the 'what utter nonesense' type of complements from your snooty standpoint and educate us all of the 'principle of first cause' Jimmy. We can all then judge what sense you actually make from your own words and understanding rather than just coppying others.
what does that have to do with anything?

You said "there is no way any religion can stop or even has tried to stop progress of science"

That is utter nonsense, and I will make no bones about telling you so. I have given 4 examples that prove you to be wrong, seeing as you haven't even attempted to discuss any of them, should I take this as an admission that you were wrong?

I don't care about your argument with h2m, I do not agree with him and I am not taking his position, I am merely going against your position that "there is no way any religion can stop or even has tried to stop progress of science" because that is utter nonsense.

Both you and PT have me worked out but your conclusions of me are way off the mark, hence me getting defensive with PT for seemingly trying to steer what I'm actually saying into the rocks again.

Like the "118 118 chaps", h2m, I think we've got your number, 100%. we definitely have your agenda worked out.

I don't need to steer you into the rocks, you are quite close enough to the wind in the comments you make.

And yes, even before the title of this thread was changed to a less controversial theme, it was more than obvious what your agenda was.

what does that have to do with anything?

You said "there is no way any religion can stop or even has tried to stop progress of science"

That is utter nonsense, and I will make no bones about telling you so. I have given 4 examples that prove you to be wrong, seeing as you haven't even attempted to discuss any of them, should I take this as an admission that you were wrong?

I don't care about your argument with h2m, I do not agree with him and I am not taking his position, I am merely going against your position that "there is no way any religion can stop or even has tried to stop progress of science" because that is utter nonsense.

Oooh lets nit pick, So you are now contradicting my claim that no religion can stop science, would you also provide examples where religion has indeed stopped progress of science. Was it the religion that tried to stop the progress of science or the people who interpreted it as such?

How did a religion that already exists stop something that came on the scene hundreds of years late Jimmy boy? Surely it would be some followers of some religions who would take that view and even then it would seem as I suggested they were unable to stop the progress of science. Oh and remind us where this taking place the East or the West? If it is the West then where does that leave the OP's argument that somehow the West is in conflict with people from the East because the Easterners are trying t stop science?:huh:

Very childish to start being nasty when there is no call for it, but hey if you wish it to be so then tango I shall.:hihi:

You are choosing to ignore my request to educate us all about the principle of first cause as it seems you may be out of depth on your own but happy enough to act the chuawa yelping at the heels when others more senior Atheists are doing the explaining, figures.:roll:

Archived