Sheffield Smelting company

Hi My nan worked there roughly 1970-1983, Her name was Eileen Slinn, She liked it there and worked with the precious metals, She has told me tales of people pinching gold, hiding it in cigarette packets and throwing out of toilet windows to pick up after work. She worked on Components first then on to dispatch

• 4 months later...
Yeah i remember Brian.................i worked in the department directly above the fitters.

Didnt know him well but as i remember he was a really helpful and friendly guy.

Trying to remember some of the other fitters names from that time..........................there was Terry Darling and a bloke called Les , but after that all i can remember is faces rather than names.

Never mind Brian do you remember me cocky?

How could one forget Kip , (Capesy ) he asks!!!!

Ive just joined in here after keeping a low profile all these years.

Been in Australia since 1991.

For all the others i went to Gleadless Valley Senior School for 71 to 76 but had lots of mates from Ashleigh where we went on from there to practice the noble art of binge drinking in the late 70s early 80s.

Now im a GURU at it over here.

Love to hear back from you and share funny stories past and present.

Regards Kip

• 1 month later...

KIP!!!

Nar then mucker long time no see/hear , hope you and Kate are well , but then again why wouldnt you be amongst all that sunshine and cold lager?

I,m doin great , me n Jill have been together 24 years now ( dont get that for murder these days ) married for 17 of em.

Our stepdaughter Jade gets married next year , our stepson Brett gave us our first grandchild 3 years ago ( Mia Grace ) and as i type this our daughter Abbi Jo has just brought home her first full paypacket and is in her bedroom gettin ready to go downtown and blow the lot.....like we used to do at the Hofbrauhaus!

In 5 days time me , Aidy and Wayne Middleton are off on a four day bender to Benidorm to celebrate Aidys 50th...............how times have changed , 30 years ago we,d have got about 20 up for this , now we,re down to three!!

Jeff Thorpe ( now lives in Glasgow ) was due to join us but unfortunately the lad is pretty poorly and is due in for surgery the day before we go.

Bumped into Robbo about 6 months ago , he was at a funeral do in the club where my missus is assistant steward ( British legion Chapeltown ) and he told me he holidayed in oz a few year ago and met up with you , and said you were still the same old Kip.

Its really freaky seeing your post today cause

A. I havent been on this forum in months , and

B. I was only thinking about you last weekend...........i was on a stag do for Jills boss in Blackpool and our digs were bang next to the football ground and it reminded me of the time me and you went there when we were under Big Jack..................it may well have been the morning after you were playing head tennis with that pint pot in the Crazy Daisy HA HA.

Anyway , nice to hear from you pal................now i know you,ve found this forum i,ll keep checking it , so post again soon.

All the best mate

Cocky

PS

If you want to see how we look now check out friends reunited Ashleigh 1978 , Jeff has posted a photo from last years jolly boys outing in Spain!!

Hey up ah kid how the devil are you cocky ?

Anyway sounds as thought you are all ok over there in the UK and the family is extending.

Mine are like bleeding rabbits , ive got 5 grandkids now, Lee has 2 girls and a boy, Brittany 8

Owen 4 and Summer 2.

Laura my Daughter has 2 girls , Mya 4 and Ava 2.

When they grow up and going to show them all how to drink irresponsibly just like Grandad Capes !!!!

Been married close to 300 years now , sorry i mean 30 years to my little Piranha fish Kate, bless her !!

Seams just like yesterday when we were up at Nortons church and not a wrong word in all those years not even so much as a raised voice !!!

Anyway pas on my regards to Aidy and Wayne, hey why dont you invite Mark Barker to make the numbers up? or smit, where is he these days, oh didnt he get a job with NASA ? he is probably head of the Mars mission now , lol

Would love to chat more and catch up so flick me an email kipkate26@yahoo.com.au

Regards Mark

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived