The Albert Public House

As per the link above, my first pint in the Albert was a bit illegal and prior to a Jethro Tull concert - would have been 1970/71. Many visits thereafter whenever we went to a concert, but strangely not at any other time, when we favoured Mr Ward's most excellent ale. As I remember it had an unsusally high bar top, which made appearing to be 18 even more of a challenge!

I used to work at Motor Services Carver St.The workshop was on backfields, a small street just wide enough for one car,in the late sixties and spent many a dinner time and night in the best pub in sheffield The Albert or the talbot as we called it.The juke box must have been the loudest model made, with a 4x12 marshall speaker extension cabinet at the far side of the room it really rocked.At the time it was a favorite with the students who tended to be rock fans .We went to see the Who at the city hall and the juke box could be heard on the city hall steps i can remember the crowd all singing along to jimi hendrix while waiting to get in.It was a bit of a flea pit but it was a friendly no nonsense place , i can't remember any trouble kicking off in the seven or eight years i went in .It was the meeting up place for the west street stagger ( never mannaged it on pints) ,happy days .

Last time I went in was in mid 1965. Went to meet a couple of young women with my mate. They were 18 months to two years older than us. Which at that age seems a lot. They were more experienced; if you know what I mean.

Archived