The Albert Public House

do you remember fred that used to come in with his wife i think she stabbed him dunno if he died or not - so many years ago!

Just to let you know Fred Manners is very much alive, he recovered from the police car knock down - the stabbing from Carole and all the other things she tried to do to get rid of him. He's 70 year old last Jan and is still married to Carole and living in Lincolnshire and he hasn't changed a bit!

Didn't the Albert fall down about late 1976 ish?

I used to work behind the bar at The Albert. I was working there the day it closed. I think the fire brigade came round and condemned it because the walls were bowed out and there wasn't much holding up the roof. They put it down to bomb damage in the war.

I was working there for a while, mainly after work from my day job. There were all kinds of characters there and I particularly remember Terry the Milkman who seemed to be there most nights.

The place was haunted. The landlord's dogs would never go down to the toilets at the end of the corridor. If you tried to make them they would go mad..........................and it wasn't just the smell.

We used to get some good lock ins in those days. I remember them fondly.

I remember my firsy husband taking me to the Albert when I was a very naive 20 yr old.

We had been sitting,people watching for a while when I commented on the strange looking females in there,he told me that they were in fact,men in drag,I think that one called him-herself Doreen,and the other Cloeo,does anyone remember them?

The Buccaneer was on Leopold St,an underground bar that opened late 60's early seventies,a friend of mine worked behind the bar,I think they had to wear pirate costumes.

• 1 month later...

My Cousin Christine and her husband Geoff surname Morton were landlords of the Albert in the 70's. They had a daughter called Joanne and a red setter named Rusty.

They moved to the Nelson the out to The Ranmoor then out to Laughton. Then sadly Christine died and Geoff moved out of the pub trade. :)

• 4 months later...

The Albert Public House.

Normanmarina post 44 – I’m confused.

I supped at the places you mentioned from 1969 (aged 15) onwards.

During the 1990’s I met a bloke called Jed who used to live at Lodge Moor but now lives at Broomhill (Spooner Rooad). He used to tour the same pubs as you and I did in the 70’s but he is younger (I didn’t remember seeing him then) than us two (I’m 57). This Jed has dark hair and he attended Tapton School. Do you mean him?

Or do you mean the long blond haired Jed who also lived at Lodge Moor? If so then feel free to read on… I remember blond Jed used to wear matching light blue jeans and jacket and saw him mostly in the Minerva playing pool. I also recall going in the car one evening (Duncan was the driver) to sell Jed a record player at his parents house.

Although in those days there were different groups (gangs) doing the rounds we all seemed to get on with each other. Did your mates do what we did, buy Newcastle Brown in the Yorkshireman’s because it was cheaper then smuggle it into the Wap ‘n’ Teck? You didn’t mention the Foresters, Raven, Buccaneer and Sportsman did you not go into them? Remembered are also the waterlogged bogs in these haunts.

Some of the people I knocked about with were:-

Gary North

Kevin Kendall – British Rail worker

Long haired Steve – worked at Viners

Barnsley Kenny – worked at British Steel and lived in Wombwell

Steptoe – Afghan coat wearer

Trunny – Ditto

Martin Bellemy

Tim Guest

Kid in’t Minerva with a Roadrunner motif sewn on the back of his jeans jacket, and also a Heinz Beans sew on patch on his jacket sleeve.

I also went in the Penthouse for more booze and to play air guitar then stumble home to Gleadless Townend. Lol.

Sometimes we’d go to that restaurant downstairs in Fitzalan Square.

Please don’t tell me there’s another Jed! Lol.

The Albert Public House.

Normanmarina post 44 – I’m confused.

I supped at the places you mentioned from 1969 (aged 15) onwards.

During the 1990’s I met a bloke called Jed who used to live at Lodge Moor but now lives at Broomhill (Spooner Rooad). He used to tour the same pubs as you and I did in the 70’s but he is younger (I didn’t remember seeing him then) than us two (I’m 57). This Jed has dark hair and he attended Tapton School. Do you mean him?

Or do you mean the long blond haired Jed who also lived at Lodge Moor? If so then feel free to read on… I remember blond Jed used to wear matching light blue jeans and jacket and saw him mostly in the Minerva playing pool. I also recall going in the car one evening (Duncan was the driver) to sell Jed a record player at his parents house.

Although in those days there were different groups (gangs) doing the rounds we all seemed to get on with each other. Did your mates do what we did, buy Newcastle Brown in the Yorkshireman’s because it was cheaper then smuggle it into the Wap ‘n’ Teck? You didn’t mention the Foresters, Raven, Buccaneer and Sportsman did you not go into them? Remembered are also the waterlogged bogs in these haunts.

Some of the people I knocked about with were:-

Gary North

Kevin Kendall – British Rail worker

Long haired Steve – worked at Viners

Barnsley Kenny – worked at British Steel and lived in Wombwell

Steptoe – Afghan coat wearer

Trunny – Ditto

Martin Bellemy

Tim Guest

Kid in’t Minerva with a Roadrunner motif sewn on the back of his jeans jacket, and also a Heinz Beans sew on patch on his jacket sleeve.

I also went in the Penthouse for more booze and to play air guitar then stumble home to Gleadless Townend. Lol.

Sometimes we’d go to that restaurant downstairs in Fitzalan Square.

Please don’t tell me there’s another Jed! Lol.

The spooner road Jed!! He's still there.Also Martin Bellamy,touch older than me,me'n'Jed are now 55,we started using pubs prior to leaving Tapton...Naughty naughty!!Martin must be late 50s at least,he used to work the doors at the marquis of granby 74/5.Do you by any chance remember a guy nicknamed 'Sadman'? He used the Albert in 75,rode a ducati,quite rare in the mid 70s!Also Stuart,long blonde hair,mainly used the minerva.

Archived