When you took your driving test..

What about the bike test. How hard is it these days? I passed mine in the early 80`s and all you had to do was ride around the block where at some point the examiner jumped out so you could do your emergency stop. Then it was a trip around the nearest roundabout and finally some highway code questions. Job done

Took me about 50 lessons of 1 hour at the age of 40. This was mainly due to my nervousness at being in control of a two ton potential killing machine. My ex paid for my lessons and my driving test, which I passed first time (though she was not my ex at the time obviously).

Been driving ever since, without any problems and love it.

Control your nerves and you will find everything much easier. Talk through what you are doing as you drive, pointing out hazards and such and you also find things easier - though you may feel a bit of a pillock doing it.

Well... lesson one over and how funny!! I stalled on Penistone Road (sorry whever was behind me), Im rubbish at steering and I press down on the breaks too hard, jolting us foreward... I did well though considering!! Thanks for the above... good reading and taking notes!! x

Well you won't fail for stalling the car unless you panic. Anyone can stall a car. Steering will come with practice. Brake slow and steady by gradually increasing pressure on the brake pedal. You'll get there. Just don't let your nerves get the better of you. I'm not going to say it's easy because until you have been driving for a while none of it is, but give yourself a pat on the back for getting through your first lesson without crashing or killing anyone.

Failed my first test 7 years ago and then quit having lessons. Started them again in November and passed in February after about 20 hours. Wish I'd carried on with it 7 years ago cause having a car is bloody brilliant!! :D:D

Well you won't fail for stalling the car unless you panic. Anyone can stall a car. Steering will come with practice. Brake slow and steady by gradually increasing pressure on the brake pedal. You'll get there. Just don't let your nerves get the better of you. I'm not going to say it's easy because until you have been driving for a while none of it is, but give yourself a pat on the back for getting through your first lesson without crashing or killing anyone.

Thanks... Im booked in for another one tomorrow and wednesday so fingers crossed...! It will be nice when I feel like I am in full control of a car... very exciting!!

My sister was awful at steering, she nearly took out the bus shelter at the bottom of Sicey Avenue. If you have any spacial awareness whatsoever, ie you can text whilst walking down Fargate without crashing into people, you'll be fine.

Braking: you only need to gently press your foot against the pedal, you don't need to put your body weight behind it. You'll soon get used to changing gear without looking down, which is dangerous anyway, so make sure you use the same car for all your lessons and the test.

I stalled in my new car twice in two junctions in the snow when my foot slipped off the pedal and I've been driving 30+ years, once a lorry anticipating my moving nearly wiped my arse for me. That's another thing, never anticipate.

I hope you go on alright.

Archived