When you took your driving test..

To the O/P:

Firstly, Good Luck! :):)

I passed mine first time just today :) Got 6 minors. 2 were for hesitating a little too long at a junction. It all depends on what examiner you get, some can be very finicky!

The test itself wont be nearly as bad as you think, treat it as if it was another driving lesson, and just keep your wits about you.

Insurance is hay-uge though! :)

30 years of driving and only one small accident in my car, forgot to pull the handbrake up enough and my mini rolled into a 2cv parked about 3ft in front of me.... cost me a number plate for the 2cv (£3.95) and a new grill (£5) for my mini..(I was 19 at the time)

Driving becomes second nature with safety if you accept it and learn slowly from experience of your own and those around you on the road's. Hope you fly your test like I did years ago, tips are; you felt comfortable enough to put in for your test, feel as comfortable when you take it. Remember what you have been taught and not what your brain is telling you to do. Do not feel intimidated by stories of good and bad test inspectors, they are all the same.... Human and following Ministry rules and nothing more. If you feel scared at any point then pull over and explain clearly to him/her your reason for doing so.

Lastly, Just relax and pass your test. ;)

have been reading through and found it very funny with all the experiences.

i can honestly say I have never stalled a car in ???years.

the reason i always wear a pair of shoes which bend and stop bending just at clutch control point. i learned this by accident years ago and have made sure ever since. don't drive now though

my instructor used to put a match in the back window for the reverse. when the match and the kerb met that was the point to start straightening out.

worked every time when it became second nature he removed the match.

my dad used to take me out in his car while I was learning, he used to close his eyes and tell me to wake him up when I had got him home. gave me the confidence to drive on my own without asking for every manoevre to be explained. found out years later he never took his eyes off the road or me but he thought it was the best way for me to gain confidence. worked except for test days strange.

To the O/P:

Firstly, Good Luck! :):)

I passed mine first time just today :) Got 6 minors. 2 were for hesitating a little too long at a junction. It all depends on what examiner you get, some can be very finicky!

The test itself wont be nearly as bad as you think, treat it as if it was another driving lesson, and just keep your wits about you.

Insurance is hay-uge though! :)

I know... going on my partners and sharing his car as he has full ncb so its quite cheap!! Cant wait to get my first car though... very exciting!

• 2 weeks later...

Passed first time back in 1975. I had the chief examiner at Handsworth Test Centre , a bloke called Woodhouse and he scared me to death. Still I must have done O.K.

Wouldn't like to take one now though.

Archived