Drivers not noticing motorcyclists

Lets face facts,there are some nutters who drive cars and there is also some nutters who ride bikes,but why is it that motorbike riders are all tared with the same brush.....In this incident i'm afraid it was totally the drivers fault....

Many people take stupid risks some get away with it and some don't,but either way what right has anyone got to put other peoples lives at risk.....

As a rider i never took any risks i like living too much,but i always ride/drive with the thought expect the unexpeted,and always assume people drive with tunnel vision,therfore i'm always wary of any vehicle near me......

Looking but not seeing ... blindspots created by girth of window/door pillar ... blind spot in each eye (http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/blindspot1.html and http://www.driversdomainuk.com/advanced-driver/blind-spots.shtml) ... nothing new, really but that dot (2% of your field of vision in each eye) a few inches away from you becomes the front of a car 30-40 metres away or the head-on outline of a motorbike a lot closer.

Just give yourself the opportunity/time to see all that is there, turn/move your head (to scan effectively) and be aware of your blind spots.

I think this constant debate about checking for cyclists is overdone.

You are stopped at a junction waiting to pull out. You check there is no traffic coming. Then you check again for cyclists. Then you check again for cyclists. Then you pull out ... and you hit the cyclist. What can you do?

I am not saying some accidents could not have been avoided, but I imagine there are lots of accidents where the driver of a vehicle did check several times for cyclists and then hit one.

Fortunately I have not hit any yet and will continue to drive as carefully as possible in order to avoid doing so. Most drivers do attempt to avoid hitting cyclists.

I have been riding a motorbike for just under a year now, and its astounding how many people dont see you, even in good conditions with lights on and a thick white strike accross my jacket. whats even more astounding is that when somebody has neerly piled into the side of me its somehow my fault that i didnt see them ignoring stop signs/not indicating/ not concentratin or using the phone etc. some guy in tescos car park in abbydale actually got out of his car and tried shoving me off my bike telling me to watch where i was going- i was n the right he was doing about 40mph and ran a stop sign!

it also reaaaaaaly annoys me in the rush hours, when cars deliberatly move in your way to stop you weaving. whats the point in that!!!! weaving is one of the perks to having a bike, call it compensation for not having heating/ a roof/ cd player/ comfy seats etc.

PLEASE just look for bikes, and remember that cutting someone up in a car is just annoying, but on a bike it can kill!!

It all comes down to observation or should I say the lack of it,how many times when you are behind a car do you see the driver looking at the passenger when talking,they ought to be looking in the direction in which they are travelling.I am an advanced biker,car driver and hgv driver and still when I ride the bike I have to check my jacket hasnt got a bullseye painted on the back.Its no thanks to other road users that after 52yrs of accident free riding im here to write this,but taking notice of sound advice and training and to asume everyone else is a complete idiot and always to expect the unexpected.

I can only say, this is common. My teenage son made the wrong decision in passing slow moving traffic. He committed himself to overtaking a car that was indicating right. He was going too fast to realistically stop, but he saw that the driver was hesitating. He went for it, and so did the driver. My son wrote his bike off, and the car too ( for insurance purposes). Fortunately he was wearing body armour, and escaped with severe bruising. The driver however, didn't see him. My son walked away. The driver was not at fault in law. make you own mind up. I use my rear view all the time!!! Andy

I went the right way years ago, first a bicycle out on the roads, then a motor bike for a few years until I could afford a car, then a car. You get to know what dangers cyclists and bikers put up with, not known by people who only ever learned to drive a car. Road surface is much more important to two wheelers than car drivers. Tram lines, gravel, uneven surfaces can bring you down, and drivers who don't check their mirrors or are texting are the worst.

Archived