Who do you think is the greatest blades goalkeeper?

who is the greatest ever blades goalkeeper?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. who is the greatest ever blades goalkeeper?

• paddy kenny
    • alan kelly
    • simon tracey
    • mel rees
    • john hope
    • tom macalister
    • alan hodgkinson
    • ted burgin

Where's John Burridge?

That chap looked like an athletic sack of potatoes in the goal. He was a top chap who allegedly climbed out of a window at Wolves in order to play for the Blades (a pinch of salt required, obviously).

I actually went for the late Mel Rees. His performance in a 2-0 away win for the Blades at Everton was as good as I have seen from any goalie. Another case of what might have been.

Simon Tracey was also brilliant, esp during our Double Whammy season. Alan Kelly was reliable too, his performance in the 1993 semi at Wembley was outstanding.

Without taking anything away from Paddy Kenny, all four above named goalies seemed to be in a different league (no pun intended) to him.

im gonna go for hodgekinson or foulke!!

Not meaning to speak ill of the dead but mel ree's??? , it is a crying shame that his career was cut short at the blades but did he really play that many games for us?

Originally posted by scottf

im gonna go for hodgekinson or foulke!!

Not meaning to speak ill of the dead but mel ree's??? , it is a crying shame that his career was cut short at the blades but did he really play that many games for us?

He didn't play all that many, but gained hero status from the fans playing whilst suffering the effects of cancer. He was a good keeper and it was an absolute tragedy his life & career were cut short at only 26. He played enough, to a sufficient standard, to, given the circumstances, be considered in this poll.

Alan Kelly. As a young lad, I only know the top 4, but Alan Kelly was the best keeper I saw at the lane. Saw him at the utd vs sunderland fa cup quarter final a couple of years back so the fact that he still follows us makes him all the more a legend!

i left fatty foulke out of the poll cos i wanted to base it on keepers who most people would have actually seen in action--i dont think anyone will still be around who had seen foulke play.like the bloke says mel rees does deserve to figure in the poll!!

Archived