Who do you think is the greatest blades goalkeeper?

who is the greatest ever blades goalkeeper?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. who is the greatest ever blades goalkeeper?

• paddy kenny
    • alan kelly
    • simon tracey
    • mel rees
    • john hope
    • tom macalister
    • alan hodgkinson
    • ted burgin

I have seen all the mentioned goalies play for the Blades apart from Burgin , and I also saw Jim Brown play many matches home and away for United ..

Every one of them played great games and bad games for us and also they played in different divisions and obviously in different eras so its pretty hard to say who was the best ...

Alan Kelly probably was the best ever keeper the Blades have had but, I voted for Hodgkinson who i saw in many memorable matches ..

You can knock John Hope all you want , He might not have been our best ever keeper but I have the 1970-71 programme for the Watford match and seeing BIG JOHN on the front saluting the Blades fans during the 5-1 thrashing of Cardiff will always stay with me

:D

Showing my age now

Regards Canada Blade

yeah canadablade---people seem to forget that john hope played a big part in getting the blades promoted to the top flight with some brilliant displays!--ok he did make mistakes but dont all keepers?---unfortunately he took the blame for the 5-0 home defeat by arsenal and he was never allowed to forget it!--not just by the fans but by a certain "t c" aswell!!--a promising career was destroyed by certain factors!!

by the way he kept quite a few clean sheets in that promotion season!!----im ready for all the flack!!--bring it on!!

Originally posted by mikeyspikey

yeah canadablade---people seem to forget that john hope played a big part in getting the blades promoted to the top flight with some brilliant displays!--ok he did make mistakes but dont all keepers?---unfortunately he took the blame for the 5-0 home defeat by arsenal and he was never allowed to forget it!--not just by the fans but by a certain "t c" aswell!!--a promising career was destroyed by certain factors!!

by the way he kept quite a few clean sheets in that promotion season!!----im ready for all the flack!!--bring it on!!

No flack from me m8, If they are Blades it makes no difference if they are bad or good , the thing is they are Blades ..

I remember when Hopey he let 5 in at West Ham in the 5th round of the league cup many moons ago ...

I think it was in 1973 :help: and i remember mi Dad keeping me off school that day and the coaches not returning from St. Pancras till midnight :loopy: I cant remember much about the match apart from some West ham fan throwing a banger on the pitch and Hopey grabbing his chest as though he was having a heart attack and falling to his knees and all the WHU and Blades fans laughing ...Do you remember if we got him from Newcastle or was he born there ?

Just got the 1970-71 programme out and John Hope played the last 17 matches for us in that promotion year including the 0-0 draw at Swillsborough after we had beaten them 3-2 at BDTBL with Hodgy in net

:clap: :clap:

Anyways John Hope in 17 matches was in net for 10 wins, 2 losses and 5 draws and kept 10 clean sheets

:thumbsup:

Regards Canada Blade

hi canadablade,

yeah john joined us from newcastle united alond with david ford in exchange for john tudor and on the same day we signed trevor hockey from birmingham city.---thanx for quoting those stats regarding johns performances--what cant speak cant lie!!:) ----oh yeah i remember john tudor coming on as sub and scoring the winner against the owls after we had let a two goal lead slip.

cheers & thanx!

mikey:thumbsup:

I remember John Hope with great affection, he was superb for us and was a real character. I also seem to remember him conceding 5 in successive matches (I think) and the joke went round that when he got back to the dressing room he threw his head into his hands.................and missed!!!:hihi:

well according to all you blades fans on the forum--alan kelly is the greatest blades keeper ever!!---4 votes in front of another blades legend alan hodgkinson!---i suppose it was always going to be between these two!---still cant believe simon tracey & ted burgin didnt get off the mark!

anyway thanx to all of you who took the trouble to vote and to everyone who kept the thread going!

:thumbsup:

mikey

• 5 months later...

John Hope was hopeless,the best goalkeeper to put on an Blades & England shirt was Alan (Hodgy) Hodgkinson,Alan Kelly,Mel Rees would have been a top GK but for his sad death,Simon Tracy but for his injury's.

Archived