British Airways union Unite announces 20 more strike days

They work there!

Why do you think you know better them?

They don't seem to know much about business matters that's all I'm saying.

I did business studies at Coventry Lanchester so yep I guess I understand business a bit better than your average BA cabin crew staff.

your kidding? i go to the usa soon and just hope it all clears!!!!

Are you planning to fly with BA Stanny?

It's a sad fact of life that there is considerable over- capacity in the Airline industry. There have been numerous mergers over the past few years, a number of airlines have gone to the wall and many people have lost their jobs.

People have rattled on about the 'support' given to striking BA cabin crew by foreign airlines, but I wonder how genuine that support really is? If BA went to the wall (Swissair, Sabena, JAL - BA wouldn't be the first flag-carrier to fail) would there be genuine wailing or crocodile tears? Would it mean that jobs in other airlines might be more secure?

BA Cabin staff have better working conditions than do those of a number of other airlines. (Ryanair use their cabin staff as baggage handlers and ramp agents ... you're not likely to see that with BA.)

If BA was to fail (and hopefully that's a long way off yet) then the CEOs of a number of other airlines might breathe a deep (but very quiet) sigh of relief.

It would take a great deal of pressure off the rest of the industry.

It wouldn't worry Unite; they're not the people likely to lose their jobs.

They don't seem to know much about business matters that's all I'm saying.

I did business studies at Coventry Lanchester so yep I guess I understand business a bit better than your average BA cabin crew staff.

Has it occurred to you that they might be fully aware of the business issues, after all they live and work them?

Does the fact that the ballot results have been so high and the solidarity so far shown not indicate to you that an informed opinion might consider their actions right?

Has it occurred to you that they might be fully aware of the business issues, after all they live and work them?

Hmm, their actions so far seem to indicate that they might not fully understand the business issues whether they work there or not.

The other departments in BA seem a bit more capable of fully understanding the business issues and the implications, that's why I guess the cabin crew as a department, are non too popular amongst their fellow BA colleagues, who also have to abide by Walsh's no nonsense approach.

Hmm, their actions so far seem to indicate that they might not fully understand the business issues whether they work there or not.

The other departments in BA seem a bit more capable of fully understanding the business issues and the implications, that's why I guess the cabin crew as a department, are non too popular amongst their fellow BA colleagues, who also have to abide by Walsh's no nonsense approach.

The pilots weren't so happy last year when they marched out.

Besides which at this point it is not the business issues under dispute, it is the victimisation of the cabin crew's work colleagues.

The pilots weren't so happy last year when they marched out.

Besides which at this point it is not the business issues under dispute, it is the victimisation of the cabin crew's work colleagues.

The pilots march out was over 2 years ago.

The economic picture has changed drastically since then, and I'm sure the pilots would think differently on the strike issue in today's economic climate.

... it is the victimisation of the cabin crew's work colleagues.

I haven't been following the dispute very closely during the past weeks. (Been lazing around in bed ;))

How are the cabin crews' work colleagues being victimised?

(I've obviously missed something.)

I haven't been following the dispute very closely during the past weeks. (Been lazing around in bed ;))

How are the cabin crews' work colleagues being victimised?

(I've obviously missed something.)

55 are suspended on trumped up charges and facing the sack and everyone that has striked is facing the removal of a "perk".

Those are the issues that are the sticking point.

http://www.unitetheunion.com/news__events/latest_news/unite_recommends_rejection_in.aspx

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/mar/25/ba-strike-letter-academics-walsh

and this on the origins of the dispute:

http://www.unitetheunion.com/pdf/028-Update-24-Mar-2010.pdf

Reading these posts as someonne with no axe to grind wildcat seems to be winning the arguement at the moment.

Bashing people from outside because they exercise their rights to strike is not really a good counter arguement to the points wildcat makes.

Archived