British Airways union Unite announces 20 more strike days

OH GREAT! We're flying BA on the dates of the strike both there and back. I was hoping this wouldn't happen. It has been booked for months and months.

Does anyone have any sensible suggestions on where I would stand as a customer here? Should we hang on until BA know what they're doing or get onto the agent we booked with and get them to move us to another airline?

I'd be changing my booking personally - Unite are pretty ignorant and there's not a chance Walsh will be backing down, so I'd said the strikes will happen. Advice on BBC website today which may be of use.

I've never been a member of a union and I never will be. I wonder how many union members will be looking at Unite and considering whether they really support this sort of reckless behaviour? I often feel that Unions are staffed by senior manager wannabes - those who which they were in a position to be controlling a large company but aren't bright enough so try and influence them in other ways. Pathetic, either way.

I'd be changing my booking personally - Unite are pretty ignorant and there's not a chance Walsh will be backing down, so I'd said the strikes will happen. Advice on BBC website today which may be of use.

I've never been a member of a union and I never will be. I wonder how many union members will be looking at Unite and considering whether they really support this sort of reckless behaviour? I often feel that Unions are staffed by senior manager wannabes - those who which they were in a position to be controlling a large company but aren't bright enough so try and influence them in other ways. Pathetic, either way.

the staff voted for a strike though, i'm quite sure they knew what they were doing when they did it.

There are a few words i would use to describe BA cabin crew none of which are appropraite for the forum.

They all need to get their act together, and stop whining...there are thousands of unemployed people who would happily take their jobs so maybe BA should make it happen :D

There are those who seem to think we should all be as badly off as the worst off. There are probably people paid worse than you, with worse working conditions than you, so if your employer told you tomorrow that your pay and conditions were going to be cut to their level, would you tell yourself "well, I'm better off than some, so mustn't grumble"? Or would you be pretty peed off?

There are those who seem to think we should all be as badly off as the worst off. There are probably people paid worse than you, with worse working conditions than you, so if your employer told you tomorrow that your pay and conditions were going to be cut to their level, would you tell yourself "well, I'm better off than some, so mustn't grumble"? Or would you be pretty peed off?

There is a difference from being peeved off and striking, and peeved off but understanding the reality of the situation, and understanding that business isn't always "fair" to the employee, but that's life, and that's business.

Yes wake up to economic reality!

BA are losing millions each day, they lost millions during the ash cloud shutdown, they lost millions during the previous strikes, they lost hundreds of customers that will now choose another airline to do business with, BA have one of the largest pension deficits of any UK company.

The Iberia deal can be the one thing that secures the future of BA, and yet the BA cabin crew decide to go on strike, not only putting their own jobs at risk but also the jobs of all those working hard in the other BA departments.

The economic reality is that BA badly need the Iberia deal to come off.....

putting this deal at risk is kinda silly really.

Yep BA cabin crew Wake Up!:rolleyes:

I know a married couple who work for BA.They both work long haul, 0cabin crew) They have a £400,000+ house in Brighton and at the moment are holidaying with their children in Barbados.The holiday cost them next to nothing,(thanks to BAs generous perks) I don't blame them for fighting to save their wages n perks,but overgenerous they are.At the end of the day they are only bloody waiters/tress in the sky.

oh no i am gonna be stuck in OZ for a few days with free hotel and food then over

to thailland then usa....

and get flights for about 10% of the normal price and free airport parking...

what am i gonna do..i only earn £18,000 which is too low

i best strike..

:roll:

There's plenty of cabin crew that represent the best of BA and are immune to the Marxist, revolutionary apeals and will not go on strike.

I know a married couple who work for BA.They both work long haul, 0cabin crew) They have a £400,000+ house in Brighton and at the moment are holidaying with their children in Barbados.The holiday cost them next to nothing,(thanks to BAs generous perks) I don't blame them for fighting to save their wages n perks,but overgenerous they are.At the end of the day they are only bloody waiters/tress in the sky.

That will be their ONE free annual return FLIGHT (they have to pay airport taxes and surcharges etc) for having done over ten years service. Is ONE free return flight per year really too generous when you have worked for a company for that long?

The cheap holidays don't come through BA, they come through offers from various companies, to staff in the Travel Industry as a whole. Airline staff, along with travel agents etc can benefit from these.

Plus, think you will find the job entails a hell of a lot more than giving out food. If they only wanted to see if I can sling out a sandwich with a smile then why have I just spent the last three days of my life were not spent at Cranebank (our training centre) all day, being monitored, put through evacuation drill after drill after drill, medical drills, fire drills, and test after test ALL day EVERY day just so that I can keep my job for another year. Hey maybe we should only get paid if we survive an emergency evacuation!!!!!! Perhaps this job is so fantastic We should be paying THEM to do it!

Also, don't confuse what might be your idea of a Sheffield £400k house...with a house of similar cost down south...and the mortgage that this will raise.

That will be their ONE free annual return FLIGHT (they have to pay airport taxes and surcharges etc) for having done over ten years service. Is ONE free return flight per year really too generous when you have worked for a company for that long?

Ten years isn't really that long and besides many people in many jobs don't get any annual benefits at all, even after 10 years service.

The cheap holidays don't come through BA, they come through offers from various companies, to staff in the Travel Industry as a whole. Airline staff, along with travel agents etc can benefit from these.

Plus, think you will find the job entails a hell of a lot more than giving out food.

what about other perks like free airport parking etc...

and paid for hotels while they stopover in holiday resorts

Archived