British Airways union Unite announces 20 more strike days

funny how on the news today they said willie walsh had cancelled the strikers travel perks

including the free airport parking and they are kicking off...

I work in a City Centre and i dont get any reduction in parking..

Many jobs get no perks but we dont go on strike...

if they want to risk their jobs then feel free to strike but we can all see where its heading... :wave:

The 3 reasons given for rejecting the offer were (and I paraphrase):

1. the failure of BA to fully restore travel concessions from all crew who took industrial action. Something that is probably illegal, and if not something no self respecting union would agree to.

2. disciplinary actions against over 50 crew members. Again victimisation of strikers on trumped up charges, is not something unions take lightly. An injury to one is an injury to all being a fundamental principle in any union struggle.

3. lack of trust in BA's management to honour their agreements.

So nothing at all to do with reward packages being brought in to line with the rest of the industry!

What makes you think you know better when the recommendation to reject was made on such clear terms?

If you look at the reasons for the dispute you will see the couple of complaints about being unreasonable are the sole reasons given by Unite when recommending rejection of the offer.

So in reality you are making up your own dispute and reasons for it!

Why are you making up your own dispute? What do you have to gain from criticising workers standing up to a bullying management that have set conditions on an offer that includes the victimisation of staff that have participated in an industrial dispute, something that is ostensibly illegal and something no union or union member with an ounce of common sense would countenance agreeing to.

The only people bringing BA to its knees is Willie Walsh and his strategy of prolonging the dispute with ludicrous and insulting offers. If anyone is shareholder or traveller on British Airways they should be directing their complaints directly to Willie Walsh and calling for his resignation or to be sacked.

Funny thing is WW told all cabin crew that if you go on strike you will loose your staff travel forever no ifs or buts go on strike and its gone.

So cabin crew knew this and some went on strike, they cant spit the dummy out as they knew full well what would happen to staff travel if they went on strike.

The strike is doomed, just look at the April strikes BA did rather well in running flights and will only run more flights during this strike. The vast majority of cabin crew will turn up for work, its all good and well the union say X% of members voted to strike. % of what ? the actual numbers in real terms would be nice to know. Out of the 13000 cabin crew working at BA how many voted to go on strike, as i know a hell of alot of cabin crew have dumped the union in the past 6 months.

Although where coming to the date real soon where WW can start dishing P45's out like confetti.

funny how on the news today they said willie walsh had cancelled the strikers travel perks

including the free airport parking and they are kicking off...

I work in a City Centre and i dont get any reduction in parking..

Many jobs get no perks but we dont go on strike...

if they want to risk their jobs then feel free to strike but we can all see where its heading... :wave:

You've hit the nail on the head there.

Many jobs don't have any "perks" at all, let alone free annual holidays following 10 years of service.

"Perks" are a nice "bonus", but like you say the employer does not have to give you any perks, and it should be the employer's right to withdraw perks as and when they see fit.

Funny thing is WW told all cabin crew that if you go on strike you will loose your staff travel forever no ifs or buts go on strike and its gone.

So cabin crew knew this and some went on strike, they cant spit the dummy out as they knew full well what would happen to staff travel if they went on strike.

Agreed, it was made quite clear at the time.

If Willie Walsh refuses to reverse the decision, then it can hardly be a legitimate basis on which to strike over.

All the more reason to go on strike, because if he gets away with bullying people out of standing up for their rights by victimising union members then they might as well throw their union rights away because they would be meaningless.

Who is spitting the dummy out? Willie Walsh with his desperate attempts to break a union?

The strike is doomed, just look at the April strikes BA did rather well in running flights and will only run more flights during this strike. The vast majority of cabin crew will turn up for work, its all good and well the union say X% of members voted to strike. % of what ? the actual numbers in real terms would be nice to know. Out of the 13000 cabin crew working at BA how many voted to go on strike, as i know a hell of alot of cabin crew have dumped the union in the past 6 months.

Although where coming to the date real soon where WW can start dishing P45's out like confetti.

They received an 81% ballot in favour of strike action on something like a 70% turnout. Around 7,500 Cabin crew voting in favour. That is a pretty impressive result by any accounting.

They had how many days strike in April? was it 7 days. A strike that they received international support for and that caused BA considerable problems. This time they are going out for 20 days. Still well below the time BA can start handing out P45s under the anti-union legislation.

The strike is far from doomed. In fact the only people doomed will be the workers if they don't win this dispute. Doomed to work in a workplace where their views count for nothing, and where anyone expressing an opinion can be sacked like the 50 that already have been.

Agreed, it was made quite clear at the time.

If Willie Walsh refuses to reverse the decision, then it can hardly be a legitimate basis on which to strike over.

Deliberate victimisation of people going on strike is not a reason to go on strike? :hihi:

My god man, I hope you don't ever find your self in a situation where you have to rely on the support of your co-workers and come up against the same sort of attitude you are displaying here. We would still be in satanic mills with children working up chimneys if everyone thought like that!

Deliberate victimisation of people going on strike is not a reason to go on strike? :hihi:

My god man, I hope you don't ever find your self in a situation where you have to rely on the support of your co-workers and come up against the same sort of attitude you are displaying here. We would still be in satanic mills with children working up chimneys if everyone thought like that!

Hmm since when is withdrawing a perk victimisation, especially if fair waning was given?

My god I hope you never have to run your own business,, and feel that you were obliged to keep rewarding your employees with perks, despite them disrupting your business and causing you to lose substantial revenues.

The country really would be heading like Greece, if everyone was quite so millitant as you!

Hmm since when is withdrawing a perk victimisation, especially if fair waning was given?

When it is done on obviously victimising grounds? like participation in a legally constituted industrial dispute.

My god I hope you never have to run your own business and feel that you were obliged to keep rewarding your employees with perks despite them disrupting your business and causing you to lose substantial revenues.

The country really would be heading like Greece, if everyone was quite so millitant as you!

Or Australia? France? Germany? in fact almost every country in the world aside from Iran has better protections for trade unionists than this country to protect workers from victimisation.

I am not talking militancy here. Freedom of association and the right to withdraw labour, are fundamental principles of a free society.

When it is done on obviously victimising grounds? like participation in a legally constituted industrial dispute.

It's not really victimisation is it really, any more than not giving a young child an ice cream, on account that they had been behaving badly.

Let's not forget, legal industrial action or not, it still cost the employer substantial lost present and future revenues, it's not really any wonder that an employer may resort to such actions, especially when business is extremely hard for all airlines.....and did I mention that pension deficit?

It's not really victimisation is it really, any more than not giving a young child an ice cream, on account that they had been behaving badly.

Let's not forget, legal industrial action or not, it still cost the employer substantial lost present and future revenues, it's not really any wonder that an employer may resort to such actions, especially when business is extremely hard for all airlines.....and did I mention that pension deficit?

The point is they are taking it off people who have exercised a legal right! a damn important one too!

To be honest I don't care about costs to employers.

Some things are more important than money, and one of those is standing up to be counted when someone that has spoken up for you gets picked on. In the case of BA, the 50 people sacked on trivial offences. The fact they are also targeting "perks" of people that have been on strike is just the icing on the cake.

This behaviour shouldn't happen in any organisation, whether BA or a company in any other country in the world. People are being executed in Iran for standing up for these basic principles! And you are worried about costs to the employer! If the employer cared about his business he wouldn't treat his staff like he is a union-breaking fascist scumbag! and if the investors in the company care at all about their business then they should look long and hard about what they are allowing Willie Walsh to do and they should reign him in or sack him.

Archived