Why is it impossible to scream in a dream??

• 2 weeks later...
Just as it says really....

Had a funny dream last night in which I tried to scream, but succeeded in nothing more than making funny noises in my sleep and subsequently waking myself up, and its not the first time this has happened... it seems to be the norm when I try to scream in a dream.

Any ideas??

Oh God! I have a similar,horrible experience sometimes(quite rarely thankfully).

If I have a nightmare, I try to scream or shout and wake myself, or make myself 'jump' and wake up. Thing is, when I 'try' to scream it comes out as a very loud throaty groaning zombie sound! My wife thought I was seriously ill in my sleep last time it happened.

Trouble is, I end up not being able to wake up for 10/20 seconds and this sometimes feels like being 'underwater' and rising to the surface and then I wake.

It's horrible when it happens, the last time it happened a few months ago, I was in tears, and I'm a shaven headed, 6ft 2" bloke!

This only ever happened once to me as a kid, but as I have got older into my thirties, it's become more evident.

Oh God! I have a similar,horrible experience sometimes(quite rarely thankfully).

If I have a nightmare, I try to scream or shout and wake myself, or make myself 'jump' and wake up. Thing is, when I 'try' to scream it comes out as a very loud throaty groaning zombie sound! My wife thought I was seriously ill in my sleep last time it happened.

Trouble is, I end up not being able to wake up for 10/20 seconds and this sometimes feels like being 'underwater' and rising to the surface and then I wake.

It's horrible when it happens, the last time it happened a few months ago, I was in tears, and I'm a shaven headed, 6ft 2" bloke!

This only ever happened once to me as a kid, but as I have got older into my thirties, it's become more evident.

Oooer... sounds very strange. And I can imagine it must be very scary at the time. Thankfully my situation is not quite that bad!!

I often wake in tears too, if I've had a bad dream, and sometimes even for no reason known to me... and I'm not quite a man or shaven headed, but I'm not far from 6 feet 2 either!! I guess even as fully grown (or sometimes overgrown, haha) adults, we are still allowed to be scared occassionally.

Ive had that too

Often also, my mind will wake up/be aware Im dreaming, but my body will still have like sleep paralysis and I cant move, and Im then willing myself to wake up. usually in a really bad dream/something bad is happening.

sleep/dreams was the best subject to study in psychology at college- massively interesting

this thread reminds me of the one a few months ago refering to the feeling of someone sitting on the bottom of the bed near your feet. this happened to me a couple of nights back, living alone makes it worse. but thats exactly what it feels like. needless to say i spent the rest of the night with the light on!!

this thread reminds me of the one a few months ago refering to the feeling of someone sitting on the bottom of the bed near your feet. this happened to me a couple of nights back, living alone makes it worse. but thats exactly what it feels like. needless to say i spent the rest of the night with the light on!!

I do that.. well I put the tv on AV so its a black screen (but its still lighter than proper darkness), and set it on timer till I go back to sleep...:( bit ridiculous as ive always laughed at people thats scared of the dark..

I do that.. well I put the tv on AV so its a black screen (but its still lighter than proper darkness), and set it on timer till I go back to sleep...:( bit ridiculous as ive always laughed at people thats scared of the dark..

I'm scared of the dark!! Always have been. Dunno why, I dont mind being outside in the dark, I just dont like being in a dark room. Its not so bad if there is somebody else in the room though, I find. Not sure I'll ever grow out of it now! :(

[quote name=.:( bit ridiculous as ive always laughed at people thats scared of the dark..[/quote]

me too, but that feeling of someone sitting right next to your feet sure aint funny. I sleep in a double bed so theres loads of room, so when i experience the ,i move my feet to the other side of the bed, but whoever or whatever is causing it seems to move back to the side of my feet. oh god it looks like the bedside light & the radio tonight:(:(

Archived