Not allowed on School Trip with Children due to having no CRB check

Er, if you had a conviction or were on a register of people who shouldn't be with kids, that is exactly what a CRB brings up. Didn't you know that? Perhaps you feel a bit better about it now?

To answer Tony's point, no, it isn't a perfect system. But there will be a risk assessment as well, one would hope. While it isn't perfect, it can help with certain aspects, so why not use it? To do otherwise is a bit like saying, I could look both ways when crossing the road, but sometimes cars mount the pavements and hit people anyway, so I might as well not bother even looking. You do what you can do, and what is reasonable, to look after your own safety, and certainly that of your children.

I don't really understand what the problem is. The OP is annoyed because they missed out this time (through their own fault). Remember that for next time, and be prepared. It's that simple.

Not annoyed about missing out as i wont be and neither will my daughter.

Like i said, we will be attending the day trip and i just hope the school dont embarrass themselves by trying to stop me

:)

This thread sums up a lot of what's wrong with the country. On the one hand bolshy thick-as-s**t people with a 'nobody's going to tell me what to do' attitude. And on the other side a country so hide-bound by pettifogging regulations and form-filling that no-one is allowed to do anything any more. Take your pick really.

The bloke who killed Holly Wells and Jessica Simpson was a caretaker of their school and had not had a CRB check, as i believe. 'Nuff said!!

He had had a CRB check, but the police incorrectly didn't record previous allegations (and maybe even a conviction).

Nuff said now?

The points were made by me and thus aimed at me.

It has been proven that wearing seatbelts is safer than not wearing them. This was known to be true even before it became compulsory.

I asked whether the instance of child abuse on school trips had increased over the past 4 decades. This was not answered, but instead some comments that were completely irrelevant used as a response.

No, they were aimed at anyone taking what I feel is a bizarre stance against a basic measure of security for our children when they are under someone else's responsibility.

If you're wanting to be pedantic and avoid the real issue...then I believe that the instances of child abuse in general have not gone up at all, proportionally...however, this doesn't mean we shouldn't bother making basic checks to ensure our children remain as safe as possible.

Thus yes, my points are relevant. You said we didn't have the crb 40 years ago. But we do have it now. So imperfect as it is, it does serve some purpose, so why should we not use it. Just as we now have other things to improve safety, like seatbelts and child carseats. Saying we didn't use them 40 years ago doesn't mean they aren't relevant now.

*sigh*. And is so far away from the main point: why shouldn't the OP have a CRB check?

This thread sums up a lot of what's wrong with the country. On the one hand bolshy thick-as-s**t people with a 'nobody's going to tell me what to do' attitude. And on the other side a country so hide-bound by pettifogging regulations and form-filling that no-one is allowed to do anything any more. Take your pick really.

Bolshy? A bit.

Thick? No.

People with a 'nobody's going to tell me what to do' attitude? With my kids, your Damn right fella.

No, they were aimed at anyone taking what I feel is a bizarre stance against a basic measure of security for our children when they are under someone else's responsibility.

If you're wanting to be pedantic and avoid the real issue...then I believe that the instances of child abuse in general have not gone up at all, proportionally...however, this doesn't mean we shouldn't bother making basic checks to ensure our children remain as safe as possible.

Thus yes, my points are relevant. You said we didn't have the crb 40 years ago. But we do have it now. So imperfect as it is, it does serve some purpose, so why should we not use it. Just as we now have other things to improve safety, like seatbelts and child carseats. Saying we didn't use them 40 years ago doesn't mean they aren't relevant now.

*sigh*. And is so far away from the main point: why shouldn't the OP have a CRB check?

My daughter will be under my responsibility.

You people like mentioning seat belts for some reason so ok ill join in the car game.

We didnt have ABS brakes 40 years ago.

Imperfect ABS brakes kill!!

Because i dont want one and because if i need one to take my daughter to the beech with her school then why dont i need one to take her home at night, read her a story and tuck her into bed?

Ah, well you see I'd be allowed because I have Enhanced CRB Clearance to work with children!

They aren't transferable though. So unless it's with the school in question it's not even good for wiping your backside (to shiny you see, I've got one as well, complete waste of time and effort and I told the organisation that wanted it that as well, still they now think it's safe since I've not been caught yet :evilgrin:).

Are you happy for your child to be looked after by people who aren't CRB checked then? People who could have any background? People who worked in schools before CRBs like Ian Huntley?

We're talking about a day trip here, not people moving in with the kids! We're talking a few hours in the company of other adults, teachers and children - what do you think they're going to do in that time?? Parents are a valuable asset on school trips because of the children:adult ratio. I can't imagine anyone even having time to think about doing anything wrong - you're too busy trying to make sure everyone's where they should be and taking part in activities with the children. I am CRB checked because of my job but I know other parents aren't and I'm fine with that.

Because i dont want one and because if i need one to take my daughter to the beech with her school then why dont i need one to take her home at night, read her a story and tuck her into bed?

Because YOUR child will NOT be the only one there, and the school and the majority of parents prefer their children's safety to come before individual parents' need for attention and drama.

Archived